Chapter Sixteen: The Wedding of Edward and Sophie

19 June 1999

The Queen has today been pleased to confer an Earldom on The Prince Edward. His titles will be Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn.

Prince Edward thus becomes His Royal Highness The Earl of Wessex and Miss Sophie Rhys Jones on marriage will become Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex.

It is the intention of Her Majesty The Queen that Prince Edward will eventually be created the Duke of Edinburgh once the title as reverted to the Crown upon the death of both Her Majesty and The Duke of Edinburgh.

Buckingham Palace

###

St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle

"Today the Queen's youngest son Prince Edward get married and Sophie Rhys Jones becomes the last British Royal Princess of the millennium," the broadcaster announced from the television, the news already playing in the background while everyone prepared for the day ahead. 

The preparations for the day had taken months to prepare and the countdown to the final royal wedding of the millennium had been underway since January when the engagement had been announced to the public. 

Nothing had been left to chance for the occasion and the day while overcast had remained dry; a good sign for the day ahead especially given the wedding was being held in a smaller and more private setting to that of Edward's siblings. 

It had originally been said that they hoped to have a private family affair but that had been out of the question once it was noted how interested the public seemed in such a day. 

Her uncle had been made the Earl of Wessex just that morning with the intention being that one day he would hold the title of Duke of Edinburgh once both Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip had passed. 

The couple had been together for six years, a longer courtship than Charles and Diana had; a sign that perhaps their marriage would last while his older brothers had failed. 

"Just think that will be us one day," Harry mumbled staring at the scene, he was already in his suit and looked rather uncomfortable in it while he eyed the television with a frown slightly on his face. 

There were so many people turning up to watch their uncle get married and it did make him wonder what his own wedding would be like and if he would have such a big wedding day. 

It was hard to believe that sometimes they were watching their future unfold before them, he might have been fourteen but even he knew that he would one day be expected to do as his uncles had done. 

"Come along you two... we can't keep people waiting," Anne called to Harry and Adeline, it was with her that the children would make their entrance since their father and uncles would make an entrance together. 

They could not miss their arrival time, they had to leave now if they did not want to cause a delay in everyone else arriving.

Anne would be accompanied by her husband, Zara, William, Harry, Adeline, Beatrice and Eugenie and she had no doubts that rallying so many children was not going to be easy; she was rather grateful for her husband's presence. 

Her eyes scanning each of the children making sure that they looked ready and not a hair out of place, she had no doubts that everyone's eyes would be on the family at this time. 

It would be the first time that the entire family had truly been on display since the funeral of Diana and Anne did not want anyone to think that today was anything but a joyous occasion.