Chapter Fifteen: Talking with William

15th of May 1999 - St Andrew's School, Pangbourne

Wrapping up his sister in a hug, William could not help but be pleased to see her since he had missed her while she had been at school and he was glad that they were here together again; he had been so focused on his own exams before the summer. 

It was hard to believe how fast the school year had progressed, he could have sworn that they would just celebrated Christmas and now they were in the summer term. 

It meant that quickly his thoughts had turned to the future, he might have been sixteen but it was time for him to think about the future and what he wanted to do when he finished school. 

William was sure that it was something that his mother would have wanted for him, it was the thing that everyone his age was focusing on now and he did not see why he should be any different just because he was going to be King. 

"How have you been Addy?" William asked stepping further into his sister's room, his eyes taking in how much the room seemed to have changed since he had last been home. 

Adeline could afford to spend more time at home since she was younger but he had no doubts that when the time came, she was focused on her exams just as much as he was. 

"I've been good," Adeline replied releasing William, she had missed him most while she was at school especially since it was hard to talk with Harry right now. 

No matter what she seemed to say to him, he always seemed to find fault in whatever she said; she wished that he would just talk about whatever was bothering him and that he would stop pushing her away. 

"Harry told me that you'd meet Camilla," William started not sure what to say, he had known that it was coming and he wished that he could have been here to support his sister in some way. 

He worried that their father might have pressured her into meeting with Camilla so that he could move forward with his relationship with her; he was more than aware what their father had planned for the future. 

"I did. She seems nice," Adeline replied with a shrug of her shoulders, her dark eyes peering up at her oldest brother wondering what he was thinking; not everyone was accepting of who her father was dating.

It was not hard to find out what people were saying, she had heard the whispers around school and she doubted people would have forgotten the mess that was the divorce; people would expect her father to be miserable for the rest of his life. 

"I wanted to meet her Will. You and Harry got to so why couldn't I. Dad really cares about her and he's happy... shouldn't we want that for him?" Adeline asked raising an eyebrow at him, she stared at him waiting for him to argue his point across. 

It was bad enough that Harry seemed upset with her view on the situation; she was sure that he would have more to say since she did not seem to mind Camilla. 

William stared at Adeline, he watched her trying to see if she was just saying that; he sighed knowing that it was much more complicated than she realised. 

People would expect them to hate Camilla just because of what had happened between their parents; they were always going to try to find some way to rehash what had happened between Charles and Diana. 

"I sometimes forget that you're eleven Addy. I wish Harry could think like you do," William replied sitting on the bed, he disliked how his brother was acting right now and wished that Harry would talk to them. 

He had been so strange since their mother had died and William knew that Harry was struggling with the loss of their mother more than he wanted to admit.