Chapter Twenty-Two: Making Amends

19th of October 1999 - York House, London

Staring at the door before him, Harry was not sure what he was going to say to the person inside after what had happened; that was if they even wanted to speak with him after what he had done. 

If he were being honest with himself, he would not have blamed Adeline if she never wanted to speak with him again; he had been rotten to her and she had not deserved how he had treated her. 

Their father and grandparents had given him a right royal dressing down for his actions and behaviour since his mother had passed; his mother would have been so disappointed with him for how he had behaved. 

The fact that he had not been able to apologise to Adeline as soon as he would have liked was disappointing but school came first and he had promised he would try to do better this school year.

Gathering up his courage, Harry knocked on the door as he waited for a moment to see if anyone spoke before he moved to open the door; he worried that she would slam the door in his face or tell him to go away. 

Stepping inside Harry paused at the sight of his sister, he suddenly felt increasingly nervous and he doubted that she would want to speak with him as his eyes caught on the cast that she was wearing. 

Looking up from her book, Adeline stopped at the sight of her brother worried that he was here to argue with her again; she did not want to fight with especially after last time. 

"Can we talk?" Harry asked closing the door behind him, he had never thought that he would feel like this when it came to talking with Adeline; he had always felt closer to her than he had with William before their mother had died. 

 Adeline nodded her head, she set down her book and turned to face him not sure what he wanted; he seemed a lot calmer than the last time that she had seen him and she hoped that speaking with someone was working for him. 

"I wanted to apologise for the other day. I never meant for you to break your arm," Harry apologised softly, he didn't deserve her forgiveness and he would understand if she didn't want to see him again. 

Adeline did not reply, she was not sure what to say to him and she wished that she could understand why he had lashed out against her instead of also taking his anger out on William as well.

"Dad's making me go to therapy and I have to help out at a soup kitchen every weekend for the next few months," Harry said remembering the punishment that he had been given, he wouldn't be able to hang out with his friends on the weekend anymore while he served his punishment. 

It was only fair especially after how he had acted the past year, he hated to think what his mother would have thought about how he was treating his siblings while they went through the same thing. 

"I'm also getting a tutor to make sure I don't fall behind at school again," Harry continued, he had never been good at school anyway but the past year had seen his lessons taking a backseat while he goofed off with his friends in class. 

He was not like William or Adeline who seemed to enjoy school and doing well, he liked to play sports more and hanging out with his friends; he did not see the point of focusing too much on his classes. 

It was not like he had dreams of going off to university like William did, he was not entirely sure what he was going to do when he finished school but he knew that had probably been planned out for him. 

Neither of the siblings spoke for a moment, they both knew that it would take time for things to go back to normal for them and even with the break of school.