Chapter Fourteen: Camilla Parker-Bowles

2nd of May 1999 - York House, London

"What if she doesn't like me?" Camilla asked looking at Charles, she had known this day was coming for awhile but she still did not feel entirely prepared to meet with his daughter; even nearly two years on from Diana's death it felt strange. 

She bounced her knee as she peeked at the clock knowing that Adeline would be here any moment; she had almost wanted to cancel but had thought that would make an even worse first impression. 

Her meetings with his sons had been harder than she had expected, her relationship would face some bumps especially with how things had gone during the divorce but with time things would be better. 

William had been a little stand-offish but had been civil with her after what had happened while Harry had a distant and a little unwelcoming but she could not blame him for being like that. 

She could not imagine what it had been like for the children during their parents very public divorce and to then lose their mother; she had encouraged Charles to focus on them and she was pleased that he had done so. 

"Don't worry so much," Charles told her with a shake of his head, he was not quite sure how this meeting would go and he could only hope that it would go better than Harry's meeting; though he was sure Adeline was more level-headed than her brother. 

Things had been going rather well as of late and she continued to do well in school, a fact that greatly pleased him and he had high hopes for her future education. 

Camilla rolled her eyes and frowned at Charles wondering just how he managed to remain so calm about all this; it was a big deal and she knew that things would not work out for them if his children disliked her. 

If they wanted a future together then she had to make this work, she very much doubted that anyone would welcome the idea of her marrying Charles if even his children disliked her. 

Opening her mouth to say something, Camilla stopped when she heard the sound that she had been dreading since it meant that Adeline had arrived; she paled slightly knowing that there was no going back now.

The door to the sitting room opened and Charles stood from his seat and moved to greet his daughter; he was sure that this would go well and he had no concerns right now, she knew how to behave in such seating. 

Despite only being twelve, Adeline was already starting to show him how well she would handle the future that was set out for her; she had even joined a tennis club this year at school which she seemed to be enjoying. 

"Dad," Adeline greeted with a smile on her face, she dropped her backpack to the floor and hurried over to where he was; she gave him a hug glad to see him again and be away from school before her exams started. 

The past school year had really flown by and Adeline was pleased that things had not been too stressful; she could hardly believe how fast the past couple of years had gone for her. 

Charles hugged her back, he glanced at Camilla who stood from her seat before he focused back on his daughter; suddenly nervous about how this introduction might go for them. 

"Adeline. There is someone that I would like you to meet," Charles said with a smile, he suddenly felt nervous especially since he knew just how much this going well meant for the future. 

Adeline peeked around her father to look at the woman that stood behind him; she had seen pictures of her in the papers but it was different to see her in person. 

"Adeline... allow me to introduce Camilla, Camilla this is my daughter, Adeline," Charles introduced looking between the two, he stepped aside so that they could speak not knowing what else to do.