Chapter Ninety-Two: The Evening Reception

25th of May 2014 - Frogmore House

Simon grinned approaching Adeline, she looked just as beautiful as she had in her first wedding dress as she did in this one; he thought that they both suited her well and he couldn't believe that she was his wife.

It still didn't feel real, it still didn't feel like this had happened at all; it felt like a dream that he never wanted to wake up from.

"Mrs FitzClarence," Simon said offering out his hand to his wife, he didn't think he could stop smiling even if he wanted to; this was everything that he had never known that he had wanted.

Adeline laughed but took his hand, allowing him to lead her onto the dance floor for their first dance as husband and wife; she loved the fact that she could say that he was her husband.

The opening cords were playing to Unchained Melody as Simon gave Adeline a little twirl before taking her in his arms; he smiled down at her knowing that he would do anything to keep her happy.

If it was the last thing that he did, he never wanted to cause her sadness or make her feel regret for choosing to spend the rest of their lives together.

"Is today everything that you ever dreamed of?" Simon asked swaying with Adeline to the music, he knew it was everything that he had wanted it to be; he was here to stay and no one could deny his commitment to Adeline.

Of course, there were those that would doubt them and deny what they had; question his motives for marrying Adeline but Simon would never allow them to take away what they had.

"No, it's better," Adeline said leaning forward to kiss Simon, she had not thought that today would go as well as it had; there had been this feeling since they got engaged that something would go wrong and spoil it.

That it was all too good to be true, that she would find herself robbed of the life that she wanted for herself because of someone else's mistakes and actions.

"I am glad," Simon whispered to her, he gave her another twirl and pulled her back to his side; he had never thought that he would be the type to settle down, he had planned never to marry when he was a teenager.

But alas, it seemed all he needed was the right sort of person to come into his life and show him what he was missing; it was Adeline that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

It had been just over three years ago at William and Catherine's wedding when they'd talked about what they'd wanted their wedding to look like; it was hard to believe that they were now in that situation.

"Is it everything you wanted it to be?" Adeline asked him, she did hope so and she knew that it would be the talk of the day about their wedding; she hadn't caught any news on what people were saying and she had no intentions of looking until after her honeymoon.

Simon laughed and nodded his head, he didn't care how they had gotten married; he would have happily travelled to Gretna Green if that was what Adeline had wanted.

He didn't care how or when it happened, all that mattered was this moment now; he and Adeline were husband and wife.

"Better, I get to call you my wife now," Simon said without a hint of concern, he was relieved that it was all over and he could sink into the background again if he wished so.

It was rather daunting to know that the world had watched him wed the woman that he loved, they had celebrated their marriage as if Adeline and him were members of their family.

The song slowly came to an end and Simon knew that it wouldn't be long before the fireworks started, they would be leaving soon for their honeymoon and the would spend a month in the South of France.

In one would be expecting them back anytime soon, Adeline's calendar had been cleared out to allow her time to spend with Simon before returning to royal duties.

"May I?" Charles asked approaching the couple, Simon nodded his head stepping aside to allow his father-in-law to take his place; his eyes catching on his mother and knowing that it was time for them to share a dance.

Adeline smiled at her father as they danced to the next song, he seemed lost in thought and she could only imagine what was going through his mind right now.

"Your mother would have been proud of you, you know. She would have loved to be here, I am sure," Charles told her, if there was one thing that he wished was for Diana to be here for moments like this.

If there was a great love in her life, then it would have been their children and he wished that she could have been here for the moments like this.

"I'm sure that she was, in her own way," Adeline replied smiling sadly, she didn't want to dwell on the sadness today and there were always going to be moments where she wished her mother was here with her.

Adeline was sure that her mother would not wish her to be sad, she would want her to celebrate her life in even the smallest of ways.

Diana would be happy with how her children had turned out, two of them now settled down and starting families of their own; Harry would follow when he was ready to do so.

"I want you to know how proud of you I am, the woman that you've become and I want only the best for you," Charles said looking over at Simon who was now dancing with his mother, he didn't want to see them end up like him and Diana.

They were a better match than he and Diana had ever been but there were never any certainties in marriage; he would support them in any way that he could.

Marriage wasn't something that came easy, it was something that had to be worked on and Charles didn't want to think that anything would happen but he knew children of divorce were more likely to have their marriages fail.

Adeline smiled and pressed a kiss to his cheek, she knew that her father was protective and he would was have her back no matter what happened in her marriage.

He had lived his life feeling unsupported by his parents because of his great grandmother's desire to control everything and everyone in the palace system; now that she was gone, people felt like they were able to breath.

The sounds of the first fireworks going off broke the sounds of the music playing, the crowds starting to head outside as Adeline and Charles stopped dancing and stared at one another.

"I will be retiring for the night soon, so I will wish you well now on your honeymoon," Charles said with a sad smile, he didn't think he'd last until she left for her flight to the South of France for her honeymoon.

"Night Dad," Adeline said pressing one final kiss to his cheek before he stepped away from her to go and find Camilla so that they could retire for the night.

Simon took Adeline's hand and lead her out into the gardens to watch the firework show, the two of them cuddling close to each other as they stared up at the bright beautiful colours that filled the night sky.

The two of them admiring the fireworks not saying a word just enjoying the sight before them and each other's company, their guests around them in awe of the fireworks; the cool summer night air doing little to deter anyone.

"What do you think? Will we live happily ever after?" Simon asked wrapping his arms around Adeline, her back pressed to his front as they watched the fireworks without a care in the world.

His head resting against Adeline's and she smiled at his words, she did think that was possible; that they could live happily ever after.

"No. I think we'll be happier for longer than that," Adeline said turning slightly to look at him, she smiled leaning in to press a kiss to his lips.

First they had their honeymoon to get through, a month in the FitzClarence villa in the South of France then they would return home to London and who knows what would come after that.

To be continued in Princess Adeline, Duchess of Clarence!