Chapter Forty-Seven: The Bad Date

25th of August 2005 - Kenya

Taking a deep breath, Adeline stared at herself in the mirror as she tried to prepare herself for what was to come; she eyed the dress that she was wearing trying to work out if this was the outfit that she was really going to wear.

The light material was a blessing in the heat and Adeline was glad that Melissa had insisted that she buy it and pack it for her trip because there might be an occasion for her to wear it.

The idea that she was about to go on another first date after how things had ended with Nick seemed strange to her, she hadn't really put much thought into dating after they had broken up.

Instead, she had thrown herself into her studies and spent time with her friends rather than think about what had happened or dwell on the hurt.

Her time in therapy had really helped and it was good to talk to someone who wasn't going to judge her for her feelings and she knew that William had also found it beneficial when he had gone.

Biting her lip, Adeline ran her hands down her sides as she stared at herself in the mirror before nodding her head and stepping away from the mirror.

She collected her clutch from the bed and made sure that there was everything that she needed inside, the last thing she wanted was to lock herself out of her suite.

Looking around her suite, Adeline hesitated for a moment as she thought about what she was about to do; she was going on a date with Oliver, she was going on a date with one of her best friend.

It was surreal to think that this was happening, that she was really going on a date with Oliver after all these years; it had been seven years since they had last seen each other before their run in the other day.

Adeline couldn't help but smile, she suddenly felt rather giddy at the notion that this was happening; she checked her clutch once more before she headed out of her suite to meet with Oliver.

***

Tapping her foot against the table leg, Adeline checked her watch as she took another sip of her second drink as she waited for her date to arrive.

When she had arrived at the restaurant a little early, she had not expected a long wait for Oliver to arrive, she had been seated quickly and had ordered herself a drink while she waited.

He was nearly an hour late and Adeline felt rather embarrassed that she was sat here all alone, the seconds ticking by as she waited and she knew that the staff were watching her.

A lump formed in Adeline's throat as she thought about what they must have been thinking, the fact that she was clearly being stood up by Oliver was not something that she could ignore.

They'd agreed to meet a six, that much Adeline was sure about and she had gone out of her way to make sure that she herself would not be late.

Hell, Adeline had even gone the extra mile in getting dressed since she had wanted this to be special; they'd never have a do over of their first date.

Taking a sip of her drink, Adeline let out a sigh and glanced around the busy restaurant anxiously; this was her worst nightmare come to life and she wished the ground would swallow her up.

This was not how she had expected her evening to go even when she had been nervous about meeting up with Oliver and going on this date; in all the scenarios that she had pictured this was not one of them.

Adeline swore that if Oliver wasn't here in ten minutes, then she was going to pay for her drink and head back to her room and hit the mini-bar, she could order in and drowned her sorrows away from the public humiliation that she was currently facing.