Chapter Ninety: The Wedding of Adeline and Simon

25 May 2015

The Queen has today been pleased to confer a Dukedom on Simon FitzClarence, 9th Earl of Munster. His titles will be Duke of Clarence, Earl of Munster, Viscount FitzClarence and Baron Tewkesbury.

The Earl of Munster thus becomes His Grace The Duke of Clarence, and Princess Adeline of Wales will become Her Royal Highness Princess Adeline The Duchess of Clarence.

The Dukedom previously belonged to King William IV of the United Kingdom from whom The Earl Munster descends via King William's illegitimate son, George FitzClarence 1st Earl of Munster.

Buckingham Palace

###

25th of May 2014 - St George's Chapel, Windsor

Climbing from the car, the Dowager Countess of Munster could not keep the smile from her face at the cheers from the crowds that had gathering outside St George's Chapel for a chance to be there for the wedding.

She smoothed out her dress and turned back to the crowds with a kind wave to them, a little in awe of the fact that this was her son's wedding day and so many people had turned out to wish him well.

The news coverage had been her companion that morning as she prepared for the wedding of her eldest boy, their talks of how well matched the couple were and how the country had rallied to celebrate the wedding.

Of course it would never be on part with the wedding of William and Catherine who would one day be the King and Queen but it was still a rather grand affair with the couple allowed a little more freedom when it came to the wedding itself.

This day had been a long time coming and the Countess felt truly blessed to be here; her illness having not deterred her from attending and she had refused to allow anything to damper this day.

Today was a day of happiness, today was the day that her eldest son wed the woman he loved and she couldn't think of anything more beautiful than that and that's all she had ever wanted for him and his siblings.

Susan was at her side, a wide smile on her face as she too waved to the crowds that were seated outside of the chapel and she had never seen the like before in person.

Then the two of them made their way up the steps and into the chapel, the Dean of Windsor stepping forward to greet them as they approached him; they talked quietly for a moment and with one last wave at the crowds they headed inside.

There were guests taking their seats inside with no one else set to arrive other than the royals and the Countess spotted a few rather familiar faces as they made their way along the blue aisle towards where she would be seated for the ceremony.

Anne nodded her head to the members of her family and that of her late husband's that she recognised along the way; it was truly wonderful that they could all be here to share in the celebrations.

Rupert was already in his seat, he looked rather smart in his suit and Anne could see that he was reading over the piece of paper with his reading on it; it wasn't long but she knew how nervous he was about giving it.

Finally reaching the pew where they would be seated, Anne turned to look at the space across from her that would soon occupy the more senior members of the royal family with only a few seats left unoccupied at this time.

Susan pulled her mother from her musings as she called her softly to take her seat, the clock was slowly ticking down and it would not be long before the ceremony was set to begin at 11am.