Chapter Twenty-Five: Study Buddy

12th of December 2003 - Marlborough College

The sound of the bell calling an end to the class made Adeline sigh in relief, she stuffed her things into her bag and glanced over to Mary; she would be thankful to get out of the classroom and back in their dorm room. 

Classes seemed to have dragged on and Adeline was glad that they were done for the week, she could hardly believe that there was only a week left until school broke up for the Christmas holidays. 

The winter dance was set for the final week and Adeline was thankful that she was going to be attending with her friends; she hadn't felt the need to find a date when she had friends like Melissa and Mary. 

The three of them would attend together and they were excited for that, she was looking forward to dressing up and spending time with her friends before they went their separate ways for the school holidays. 

"Adeline do you have a moment?" her teacher called after her before she had the chance to slip away, she groaned turning back to the teacher's desk as the last of her classmates left the room. 

As much as she enjoyed her history classes, Adeline could not think of why she was being asked to stay behind; it wasn't like she was failing the class in anyway. 

"Is everything alright Mrs Kinder?" Adeline questioned trying to think of why she was asked to stay behind, she'd done well on the last test that they'd done; in fact, she was sure she'd scored one of the higher scores in her class. 

Setting her bag, Adeline waited for her teacher to speak while she sorted through some papers on her desk with a slight frown on her face. 

"You're one of my higher scoring students and I would not ask unless it was important. I have a student in my other class that is at risk of failing," Mrs Kinder explained, she had no idea what to do anymore and she knew that this student could do the work if he applied himself. 

It had not escaped her notice that he missed classes and was truly in risk of failing her class and not being able to finish out the year; she just hoped that her suggestion would work before it was too late. 

"I was hoping that you wouldn't mind tutoring Mister Tudor for the rest of the school year," Mrs Kinder told her, she sat down on her desk and looked to Adeline not knowing who else she could trust with this.

Adeline had always been a good student and Mrs Kinder had no doubts that she would be able to help him with his studies; she wasn't going to allow him to distract her from her own studies and it could even be good for her. 

It had not escaped her notice that Adeline tended to lean on her friends quite a bit during class projects, always partnering with the same people; even at the cost of them slowing her down because certain people wouldn't pull their weight. 

Adeline blinked not sure how to reply, she had not expected this and she didn't think she knew anyone with the surname of Tudor in her classes this year. 

It was not hard to miss people since her year was split into two groups but Adeline was sure that with a surname like that the person would stand out especially given it's former royal connections. 

"It would only be once a week and if things don't work out after a couple of weeks then I'll find someone else," Mrs Kinder continued wanting to reassure Adeline that it was okay if this didn't work out and that there were other options if this didn't work out. 

Looking down at the students latest test results and knew that any chances of this student would not have good opportunities upon leaving school; he was barely making passing grades and nothing else seemed to work.