1.16 | The Down of the Future

Capítulo XVI- El Malo Del Futuro

     Patience pulled up a swivel next to Leo, they both shared a bowl of pretzels she brought from the kitchen. Patience listened to Adam, Bree, and Chase's mission instructions as Leo typed away at Mr. Davenport's computer. Patience popped a pretzel in her mouth as Mr. Davenport spoke.

     "Okay, your mission supplies are packed, the schematics have been uploaded into Chase's chip, and your transport is on the way. Did I forget anything?"

     Bree sarcastically said, "No. We'll just guess what the mission is and see how to plays out."

     "All right. A partial collider is a three-mile-long underground facility where scientists-"

     Chase cut in, "Race subatomic particles at each other at light speed for energy experiments. It's so cool!

     "I know." Mr. Davenport and Chase fiddled their fingers together saying, "Deedle-deedle-dee!" Adam and Bree sent them odd looks, causing them to stop. "There is a particle collider in Berkeley. That is accelerating out of control and your mission is to shut it down."

     "Oh! Awesome!" Adam leaned towards Bree and Chase, "I hope one of us knows how to do that."

     "Okay. We have to act quickly. The scientists that operate the facility- Scuse me" Mr. Davenport moved Patience and Leo away from his desktop, "have already evacuated the control center and if we don't shut it down in time, it will create a massive black hole that will implode the entire plant."

     "I wonder how many times the world has almost ended and I feel like this isn't the last time," Patience popped another pretzel in her mouth, placing the bowl on the desk.

     "Today?" Leo asked Mr. Davenport, "no, that's not gonna work. Today is Shelly's Evan's birthday party and her mom makes the best cupcakes!" The group furrowed their eyebrows. "I'm just sayin' that woman doesn't skimp on the sprinkles."

     Mr. Davenport patted Leo's shoulder, "Don't worry, Leo, you will get your cupcakes. Adam, Bree, and Chase have all their training they need to shut the collider down."

     They walked to the cyber desk and Leo and Patience trailed behind them. "I don't know, Big D. I think these guys are gonna need some... backup!" Leo chorused, doing his heroic pose.

     "Yeah, and that's why you're gonna be backup here with me and Patience in the lab with me."

     Adam laughed, "Oh, he said 'backup' and you said 'backup'. Saying this twice makes it funny! Oh! Saying this twice makes it fun-"

     "Stop it!" Patience jumped at Mr. Davenport's tone.

     A blue sphere formed on the ceiling and came to the ground. It rotated and zoomed to the floor as someone in the sphere shouted, "No, no, no!"