2.34 | Christmas Troubles and Miracles

Capítulo XXXIV- Problemas y Milagros Navideños

     Mr. Davenport, Leo, Patience, and Tasha finished setting up for Christmas. Dante was supposed to get out earlier than usual given it was Christmas Eve. Patience expected him to pick her up soon, hopefully, because she hadn't seen him today, considering he had to wake up early.

     The doorbell rang and Leo said, "Oh, I got it. Must be Grandma with her holiday feast. Or perhaps, some carolers have come to spread some holiday cheer. Or perhaps Patience's dad," Leo opened the door, "Merry-"

     "Hey, Dooley," Perry greeted.

     Leo yelled and slammed the door. "Code red. Turn off the lights. Everybody, hide." He pushed Patience down by her shoulders and he dove behind the couch. She pulled him up to their feet, Leo snuck off into the kitchen.

     Tasha scolded, smiling, "Leo." She opened the door, "Hi."

     Mr. Davenport pointed behind him, "I'm with him, I'll be behind the tree."

     "Don," Tasha grabbed him.

     Principal Perry smiled, "Sorry to bother you, but I ran into some car trouble while doing one of my favorite yuletide traditions."

     Tasha sweetly said, "Oh, were you driving around looking at Christmas lights?"

     "No. I was tearing through puddles trying to splash carolers. Took a corner too fast and accidentally ran over some of your decorations." Perry showed them the flattened Santa Claus, the tire mark vividly vertically marked the center of the figure. "Ho-ho-ho, here you go," she handed it to Mr. Davenport.

     "Nice aim. What are you driving a tractor?" Mr. Davenport retorted as Perry made her way inside the mansion.

     "I'm stuck. I popped a tire and I can't get any cell phone service up here on Rich Man Mountain," Perry mocked, walking towards the home phone on the coffee table.

     "Uh, we like to call it Billionaire Butte actually. There's a history-"

     Perry pressed the phone to her ear, "Stop talking, I'm on the phone." Mr. Davenport paused and strolled to the other room. "Jose, Terry Perry. Ah, yeah, had another accident. I'm gonna need a tow. No, the cat wasn't driving this time. Uh-huh. Oh, coco," Perry took the mug from Leo as he passed by her.

     "She just-" Leo mouthed, pointing at Principal Perry.

     "What? Ugh, great," Perry hung up. "There's only one driver tonight and there's 30 people ahead of me."

     Leo opened the door, "Hey, well, I have a bike pump. Let's see if that works."

     "Or, maybe, when my dad gets here we could give you a ride home," Patience offered. As much as Patience tolerated Principal Perry, sometimes, Perry mixed with everyone in the room was a recipe for disaster.