2.25 | Escape

Capítulo XXV- Escapar

     The only thing that lit up the pitch-black hall was the light from the lair. Dante held Patience's hand, guiding her through and running up the stairs. Her friends' shouts and grunts echoed the vacant hall, raising her level of fear.

     Patience's shortness of breath beat the loud groans as she and Dante got far. A sharp pain struck her back attempting to catch her breath. Although she had very good endurance, her back injury dragged her behind like dead weight.

     Dante felt around the dead end, a lever touched his fingertips and he pulled it. He and Patience exit the building, he glanced at Patience's exhausted figure. A silver stick on the grass grasped Patience's attention. She picked it up and Dante helped her to a hiding spot near the backyard, behind the bushes that led to a forest.

     Dante leaned against the tree. Patience glanced down at the staff in her hands, a reminder of her failure. "What did Marcus do to Leo?" she mumbled.

     The Filipino man hesitated to answer. He put his arm around Patience and pulled her close before he answered, "He blasted Leo with something green at his chest-"

     Patience composed herself, "Chest?" She felt around her torso, Mr. Davenport's protective vest was still on her. "Where is he?"

     Dante's eyebrows knitted together, "Patience, are you okay?"

     "Leo's alive." Patience elaborated seeing the bewildered expression invading his face. "We had Mr. Davenport's protective vest. He must be knocked out or something," she showed the vest underneath her shirt.

     Even though Dante didn't know if Patience was in denial or not, he said, "Stay here. I'll look for him."

     "I want-"

     "No, Patience. Stay here."

     Patience frowned giving up and stayed put. She crossed her arms like a child, slanting against the tree. She kept her eyes on Dante as he crept around until he was no longer visible. To Patience, she was fine as long as she walked or did a tiny jog at least for a while. But Patience figured Dante didn't let her search Leo was because if she was wrong about Leo, he didn't want her to see his deceased body lying on the ground.

     A whirring sound struck Patience's ears. It was a stiff movement with heavy steps, quieting the moment it was on the grass. She held her breath as the machine-like thing got closer.

     "Patience?"

     She glanced up to the exoskeleton. "Leo?" Patience shot up and hugged the robot, "Leo!" Her arms couldn't wrap all-around the exoskeleton four times her size. "You're alive."

     Dante rushed back into the scene. "Leo, you're okay. And in a suit?" Out of all the secrets revealed today, this was far from the strangest.