4.8 | Otis, the Bionic Dog

Capítulo VIII- Otis, el perro biónico

Adam and Patience held grocery bags in their hands to make a dish they saw in one of their cooking shows. It was two nights ago when their cooking show was on live tv and the well-seasoned and pineapple-flavored steak caught their attention. For two days they couldn't go without thinking of the steak so they left the island in the morning to grab some groceries. They got out of the parked car to walk the distance to the academy's hydroloop.

A black medium size dog with a white patch on his neck and black streaks followed their trail loosely. His brown fur head sniffed the air to get a better smell of what to eat. His nose pointed to Adam and Patience talking side-by-side on the sidewalk. He crept out of the bushes and stuck his nose in the grocery bag. Patience turned around to see what was hitting her bag. She nearly jumped out of her skin seeing the dog.

Adam gasped, "Oo! It's a dog!" He dropped the grocery bags and instantly pet the dog. He scratched behind his ears, smiling. The dog nearly jumped on Adam and attacked his face with kisses. "Relax, Patience. It's just a dog. Right? Oh, yes, you are! Oh, yes, you are!" he cooed.

Patience dropped to her knees, "I am, he just scared me for a second." He gave his attention to her and she set the bags aside for the incoming kisses from the dog. She laughed as she tried to push him back. "Oh, hi! You're quite strong for your size," she scratched his neck. "Where are your owners?"

Adam hooked his finger around the dog's collar. The only tag had his name carved out of the metal bone-shaped tag, Otis. "Come here, Otis," Adam said, holding his arms out. Otis licked Adam's exposed forearms as his fluffy tail wagged. "Patience, can we keep him?"

"I don't know, Adam. There's no room for him in the academy. Does the tag have a phone number or address?"

"No. If he did, why would I ask if we could keep him?" he said in an obvious tone.

"You would ask either way."

He hummed, smiling, "Yeah, you're right." Otis sniffed the floor and wagged his tail. He reached for the grocery bag with the chunk of meat. He stuck his nose in and licked the plastic. "Oh, what's that, Otis? You like steak, too?"

Patience closed the bag before Oitis chewed through the plastic cover. As soon as she would arrive at the academy, she would have to clean off Otis's saliva. "We have to take him to a shelter and see if his owner would pick him up."

"Can't we just keep him for a little bit? Look at his cute face," Adam pressed his cheek to the side of Otis's face. He pouted as Otis looked up at Patience with his tongue out from happiness and his tail excitedly wagging. He jumped up and placed his paws on her legs.

Patience petted Otis's head by running her hand over it. "Yeah, he is cute. Okay, if the owners don't come back for him, maybe we can keep him."

"Yes!" He pumped his fist. "Wait, where are we gonna leave all these groceries? We can't leave them in the car."