4.4 | Carrot Cupcakes

Capítulo IV- Cupcakes de zanahoria

      It was an absolute disaster. Flour decorated the countertops and floor like snow except for the vibrant orange of shredded carrots. Batter dripped from used whisks on the counter. Containers of ingredients had handprint smudges—cream cheese frosting splattered from an accidental spill. And Chase and Patience whipped their heads to the beeping oven. The couple was covered from head to toe in ingredients snapping them back into reality. It was supposed to be a simple baking project but the cleanup said otherwise.

     It started with Patience putting down the console controller on the table. It was the evening and they were already in their pajamas for the night and were playing Minecraft before bed... four hours before bed. Recently they've been getting carried away with the game.

     Chase glanced over to his right, asking, "What's wrong."

     She avoided his stare and leaned onto him, wrapping her arms around his arm. She told herself that she can easily tell him what was on her mind all day, but she bit her tongue. What if he didn't want to bake cupcakes with her again? He's only mentioned it once and never again. He could've changed his mind in the span of two weeks. She didn't want to make him feel obligated to do it.

     His free arm reached over and grabbed her hand, messing with her fingers, "What's on your mind, sunshine?"

     Sunshine? That was new. It brought Chase a smile to his face feeling her cheeks puff out from the smile she hid away from the new nickname. Patience relaxed and said, "I know it's late and you've been busy all day, but could we bake cupcakes?"

     His eyebrows furrowed, "That's what's been bothering you all day?"

     She sat up, "It hasn't been bothering me all day." He gave her a look and she sighed. "Okay, maybe it has but I just thought you'd want to go to sleep instead."

     "I'll always have enough energy for you. And I did say we'd bake cupcakes. I can't back out now."

     "You can't back out now? Do you don't want to anymore?"

     Chase's eyes widened in panic, "No! I do want to bake with you. I won't promise something I can't keep. Last time I did, I nearly gave you a panic attack retrieving Mr. Davenport's Citanium."

     She shrugged, admitting to her inability to stay composed that say. Her eyes widened and a giant grin on her face was displayed, "So, we're making cupcakes!"

      Chase couldn't hold back his smile. He swore her smiles were contagious. Or maybe it was because it was Patience. No matter what she did, something simple like a soft pinch to his cheek would make him smile. He had realized now that anytime Patience was around he had a small smile resting on his face. Hence why he nicknamed her sunshine. She was the sun that lit up any dark day.