3.3 | Cutbacks

Capítulo III- Recortes

     Patience leaned on the kitchen counter next to Adam. They and Leo observed Mr. Davenport fix another device from the lab. The lines on his forehead were visible from the stress of constant failing. Mr. Davenport poked at a device with his screwdriver and sparks flew sending Patience back against her stool. 

     Mr. Davenport jumped back, shaking off his electrocuted hand. He picked up the screwdriver off the floor, "Great. Everything in the lab is officially useless, and I don't have enough money to repair it."

     "I know my mom didn't marry you for your money, but I haven't been putting up with your antics for nothing," Leo acknowledged. Patience tilted her head, sending him a look.

     Patience directed her attention behind her, Bree and Chase rose from the couch. He went to grab a water bottle and Bree took a seat beside her, "Mr. Davenport, take your time with the lab. I don't mind staying up here. Of course, it won't make up for living in a basement for sixteen years, but it's a start."

     "We don't have time. Your capsules have regenerative capabilities. They're crucial to your bionic infrastructures."

     "Huh?" Adam's eyebrows knitted together.

     "Let me help you," Chase set his water bottle down. He rested his hands on his knees at Adam's level and deepened his voice, "Capsule good!" Adam smiled, nodding. Chase sighed, pointing at his brother annoyed.

     Bree said, "But I haven't been in my capsule all week, and I feel fine."

     "Well, it's only a matter of time before your bionics go haywire."

     "Do you know when exactly? Because I have a haircut on Tuesday and if I glitch in the chair, I'm just gonna end up like that trainwreck," Adam gestured towards Chase.

     Chase denounced, "I get it! I'm short, I look like a lady golfer, and I have a terrible haircut! What else you got?"

     "How long do you have?"

     Bree laughed and Leo's mouth opened joining Bree. Patience shrugged, "I think Chase looks fine the way he is." The group all glanced at her. Their eyebrows furrowed except for Chase, he smiled to himself looking down. Patience took no shame and said, "What?"

     Mr. Davenport shook his head, dismissing it, "Look, the longer you go without your capsules, the more likely you'll glitch, so don't use your bionics until I can get enough money to rebuild the lab."

     "Uh oh, I feel a glitch coming on!" Adam jerked to his right, punching Chase on his bicep.

     "Ow! You know what? I feel one coming on too" Chase pushed Adam off his chair.

     He glid on the ground and shot up, "Hey, it's not funny when you hurt me. It's just rude." Adam walked off to the hall, frowning.

     Patience stood up from her stool and made herself comfortable on the couch, looking at her phone. Bree slipped next to Patience, her elbow was on the top cushion and her legs were curled up to her. "What was that about?" Bree asked.