An Emo's (Fake) Boyfriend | Moxiety

summary: patton wants to date someone edgy enough to scare his parents and show them that he is old enough to make his own decisions now. he enlists the help of the school's resident emo group and maybe falls for one of them in the process

word count: 1965

this one is so long, so ig the actual dating part is mainly virgil's pov, it's really weird bc it's so long shfkdkjs (also, this one-shot was heavily inspired by/based on 18 by anarbor, i wanted to make it edgier and stuff, but i decided on this fluffy little story instead :))

tw/cw// overbearing parents, sad patton, remus (not over-the-top remus but still remus 0-0), i think that's it :))

~~~~

Patton was tired. Tired of school. Tired of his parents. Tired of the same routine every day. Tired of the same path to and from school every day. Tired of needing constant protection. He was tired of everything. He knew his parents worried about him because he almost died when he was a baby, thankfully surviving and growing up with a stronger immune system, but their protection was too much. Just this morning, they'd revealed to him that they would be living with him for the rest of his life; they'd said, "In case something happens, we'll be there." 

Patton loved his parents, he was grateful for them, but this was way over the line. He didn't say anything to them though, as much as he wanted to, he still needed them to give him a ride to school, and he didn't want any tension to be there.

While lost in thought, his eyes drifted to the group of loners in the corner of the cafeteria. They all had dark color schemes, only mixing black with one other color for each boy: blue, green, yellow, and purple. They never really interacted with anyone else; everyone was scared of them. Patton needed to be more like them. Confident, intimidating, outspoken. There needed to be a way to show his parents he could take care of himself, some way to be free.

Patton threw away his lunch, not that he ate much anyway, and made his way over to the table of darkly dressed loners. The four boys at the table stopped mid-conversation, now staring at Patton, who shuffled awkwardly under their gazes. "Can we help you?" One asked with a raised brow; he had a scar across one side of his face that made him look even more intimidating

"Um, I need your help." "Well, Remus, your presence is unnecessary since you can't help." The boy with black-rimmed glasses commented. Two of the other boys snickered at the comment while a boy with a black and green aesthetic, presumably Remus, shoved the glasses-wearing boy offendedly. "That was rude. How dare, sir? I bite my thumb at thee!" The green and blue boys bickered, seemingly forgetting Patton's presence at the table. 

A quieter boy with a purple aesthetic glanced up at Patton before gesturing to the seat next to him. Patton smiled at his offer before taking the seat next to him. "I'm Virgil, that's Janus, Remus, and Logan. You said you needed our help, right?" The purple boy asked. Patton was shocked at the boy's shockingly deep voice. It wasn't that low, but he'd been expecting a higher pitch from the quiet boy. Patton nodded before Virgil thought he was weird for staring. "It's kinda dumb, but I want to be more like you guys. I need my parents to see that I'm old enough to be on my own, that I can handle myself. That I'm not a little kid anymore." 

The other boys at the table stopped their playful argument, staring at Patton again. Remus grinned mischievously. "So what? You want to become like us or date us? It'd get the same reaction from Mommy and Daddy; only one has more benefits." Patton shrugged, hiding the blush he got at the suggestive tone Remus took. "I hadn't thought about it. Whatever you guys think will help me better." Logan hummed in thought. "Well, such a drastic change in your style most likely won't do much. Judging by your current style, you might regret wasting time on such a fruitless effort. I know I will."