Driver's License | Past Royality/Prinxiety/Logicality

summary: patton gets his driver's license and relives the heartbreak of his breakup

word count: 798

okay, so it refers to patton's ex as 'him' for a while, but i don't want anyone to be confused, so patton is sad about his ex-boyfriend :(

tw/cw// slight crying, break up/heartbreak, sad patton, sad roman, kinda unsympathetic roman and virgil, but don't worry, there is some fluffy fluff at the end bc i don't like sad patton :)

~~~~

Patton drove silently through the familiar route from his house to his destination. He'd received his driver's license yesterday, and he nearly cried when he first held the small card in his hands. 'He was so excited for this moment, and he's not even here to see it.' Patton willed himself not to cry; he didn't want to risk getting into a car crash; he also refused to waste any more tears on him.

Patton knew this drive would cause him more pain. But Patton had once told him that he kept his promises, no matter what; he'd once promised to do this as soon as he got his driver's license, he had to go through with this.

At the red light, a car beside Patton's was loudly playing "Once Upon A Dream" from Sleeping Beauty, 'That was his favorite song.'. Patton hated Sleeping Beauty before meeting him; it was too dark for his taste. But when they first watched it together, Patton saw it in a new light. He glanced over at the car, doing a double-take when he thought he saw him in the front seat.

Patton shakily sighed when the driver was, in fact, someone else. The light finally turned green, and Patton immediately drove off. 

Patton slowed down when he finally reached the cul-de-sac. He parked in front of the beige house, the house that held so many memories. He glanced at the backyard gate, where they'd always spend their summers in the pool. The garage, where they'd work on various artistic projects together. The second-story bedroom on the left, where they'd talk for hours, do homework, watch movies. 

The front door opened, and it was him, Roman. Roman walked out with Patton's old best friend, Virgil. He and Virgil had a falling out in middle school when Virgil got annoyed with Patton's antics. Patton didn't blame him; he knew how overbearing he could be. He often ranted to Roman about how jealous he was of Virgil; the emo boy was skinnier, more athletic (even though he didn't always show it), he was far more artistically-inclined, he was taller, his eyes shined beautifully in any light, Patton could never compete.

Patton guessed he couldn't blame Roman for cheating on him with Virgil; after all, he knew how much better Virgil was than him. Patton froze when Roman spotted him, 'I should've chosen a spot across the street.' Patton internally cursed himself. Roman said something to Virgil before walking over to Patton's car; Patton reluctantly rolled his window down.

Roman awkwardly bent down beside the car. "Hi, Patton..." Patton nodded, training his gaze on his dashboard. "Patton, why are you here?" Patton rubbed his thumbs across the steering wheel; he usually focused on textures when he was nervous. "I promised that I'd come here as soon as I got my license. I keep my promises." He said, taking a jab at Roman, who had promised never to hurt Patton. 

Roman looked down guiltily. "Patt, I'm-" Patton cut him off. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for bothering you, just one question." Roman watched Patton, nervously awaiting his question. "That song you wrote on Valentine's Day, I know you were already seeing Virgil by then. But, did you mean it? Did you mean what you said in the song?"

Roman stuttered nervously, not saying anything. Patton nodded, the tears being harder to keep back now. "Okay, again, I'm sorry." The one apology said it all. 

I'm sorry I couldn't make you happy.

I'm sorry I wasn't enough for you.

I'm sorry I bothered you.

I'm sorry we didn't work out.

Patton drove off, gripping the steering wheel tightly. He glanced at his rearview mirror, seeing Roman stare at him with a heartbroken expression. Patton focused back on the road, blinking away his tears.

~~fluffy bonus scene (with a 1-2 year time skip) :)~~

Patton squealed happily when he received the text, 'I'm here :]'

The emoticon at the end made Patton even happier since his boyfriend wasn't the most expressive person but was making an effort for Patton's sake.

Patton ran from his bedroom, said bye to his parents, and went straight out of the front door. He entered his boyfriend's car and kissed his cheek. "I'm so proud of you; you finally got your license?" Logan nodded with a soft smile. "Of course, and it's all thanks to you." "Well, I had to do something. Not having your license at 18 is an 80 mph journey to Carpoolville." Patton joked. Logan playfully rolled his eyes before starting the car.

"So, where are we going?" "It's summer, and I know how much you like amusement parks-" Patton dramatically gasped. "We're going to Fun Fun Land?" "While the name is moronic, yes, we're going to Fun Fun Land." Patton giggled, shaking with excitement, as Logan glanced at him lovingly.

~~~~

driver's license by olivia rodrigo is brilliant, i have been trying to figure out how to write a story based on it for months, but i kept coming up short until brilliance struck :) anywho, i would love to have a part two to this where prinxiety runs into logicality and logan protects patt and comforts him afterward, but idk, we'll see :) anywho, hope you all enjoyed, love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

4/6/21