Moving On | Past Royality/Platonic Moceit

summary: patton broke up with roman about a year ago. roman has moved on but patton isn't quite ready for that yet. he enlists the help of janus to attempt getting roman back.

word count: 1642

i had a dream that i played chess and it was immaculate, the last time i played chess was like six years ago like whAT?? i only quit the team bc by then i was like the oldest member and my friend was the only real reason i stayed. since he and i found more interest in youtube and writing, we mainly focused on that and there was no point to be on the team anymore :// it was fun tho, 10/10 recommend (just not the boring competitions where it's all quiet, the most fun games are usually the loudest ones :))

tw/cw// swimming pool, some alcoholic drinks (and mentions of being drunk), s*xual comments (not very lewd, it implies stuff but doesn't outright say anything), some cussing, janus acting like a huge jerk (but it's okay bc he's just pretending)

~~~~

Patton bit his lip, watching Roman and Virgil talk and cuddle by the poolside from his spot by the bar. It had been almost a year since he and Roman had broken up and no matter how hard he tried, Patton couldn't seem to win Roman back. Especially now that he was with Virgil. Patton had nothing against Virgil, he wanted him to live very far away with no connection to Roman whatsoever but it wasn't personal. Kind of.

"You know," Patton flinched at the suddenly close sound and turned to Janus, who was sipping on a margarita and staring ahead at the other party members. "If you stare at them any longer, they'll think you're looking to jack their wallets." Patton let out a sigh and looked back at Roman and Virgil. "I'm not going to steal their wallets. It's just-" "You're obsessed with a man-" "I'm not obsessed." "Who has constantly pushed you away since you broke up with him and went on to date a guy who annoys the shit out of everyone-" Patton shoved Janus's shoulder. "Don't use that language!" "Just to prove you were over him, which you weren't."

Patton fidgeted with the buttons on his shirt. "I guess that's one way to put it. Was it that obvious?" Janus rolled his eyes. "Jealousy and deceit aren't very good looks on you, dear. Why don't you just get his attention and make him jealous?" Patton furrowed his eyebrows and looked at Janus. "How?" Janus smirked and took a sip from his margarita, still not making eye contact with the slightly shorter boy. "Can you swim?" Patton nodded reluctantly. Janus set his cup onto the nearby bar and pulled Patton by his hand, leading him to a pool chair.

Patton got the idea, pulling off his button-up and his sandals while Janus did the same. Once they were left in their swim suits, they both stepped into the lukewarm pool. Patton was suddenly thankful that this was an indoor pool full of his friends, very distant friends but friends nonetheless. He wasn't that insecure about his body but he did get self conscious when there were strangers around to watch him swim around half naked.

"Okay, now let's invite them to play in a chicken fight." Patton stared at Janus, silently pleading him to not do this. Janus gave him a knowing look that said "Do you really want to fight me on this?" Patton sighed defeatedly and got behind Janus, ready to get onto his shoulders. Janus sunk down and waited until he knew Patton had a comfortable grip on him before fully rising up. "Hey Roman! Virgil! Chicken fight?" Patton shouted with a playful grin. Roman and Virgil shared a small conversation before nodding and getting into the pool.

Virgil got onto Roman's shoulders and the fight soon begun. After three rounds, Patton and Janus were the official winners, which meant Roman and Virgil left to sit back down at the pool chairs. Janus wiped the chlorine water out of his eyes and squinted as the water dripped down his face. "What's going on? Rematch? Is he looking?" Patton sighed with a frown. "No, they're sitting down again, he's not looking." "Oh." Janus removed his arms from Patton's legs, putting his right hand under Patton's foot and pushing him over his shoulders. Patton yelped as he fell into the water, Janus just swam to the edge of the pool and got out to grab his towel.