Don't Mind | Logince

summary: roman lives in a world in which monsters coexist with humans. growing up, he was taught that monsters were bad; but now, he realizes that they may not be so bad.

word count: 1458

this is entirely based on the disney channel movie zombies. the movie wasn't a cinematic masterpiece, but i still loved it and thought, "what if bucky fell in love with zed?" and kinda went from there skdhfksjd

tw/cw// monster-phobia (which is really just a metaphor for racism in the movie, but i'll leave that alone for now 0-0), bullying, yelling, roman's dad's a jerk, that should be it :))

~~~~

Roman had a bumpy history with monsters. Growing up, he was taught that monsters were hideous blood-thirsty beasts. He'd met a zombie when he was five, and, despite the man not being dangerous at all, Roman's parents flipped out and drilled their prejudices into their son's head. 

When he was in high school, monsters were allowed to attend school with human students, something Roman and many others made a huge fuss about. But Roman knew that everything he said about the monsters was an absolute lie. Even when he and some of his friends deactivated the bands that monsters were forced to wear, bands that kept the monsters in a calm and stable state, Roman noticed that the monsters held back so they wouldn't hurt him.

So Roman accepted them, kind of. He still teased them and pushed them down, but he cared. 

Roman noticed that Zach, the worst person Roman's ever met, was bothering the group of monsters. Roman didn't want to step in; they could take care of themselves. Zach made zombie jokes against Patton, vampire jokes against Virgil and Janus, but Roman paused when he started targeting the two werewolves of the group, Remus and Logan. 

Remus was Roman's cousin; he'd just recently discovered that he was a wolf, which wasn't much of a surprise considering his temper and tendency to bite people growing up matched those of a regular werewolf. Logan had come in with the other wolves, and something about him just felt different to Roman. He wasn't quite sure what it was, why he felt this way, but he knew something about Logan pulled him in.

Maybe his attachment to both boys was why Roman marched over to the group and immediately talked to Zach in a very passive-aggressive fashion. Being the student body president had many perks, one of which was the power it gave him over other students (which Roman rarely used to his advantage). "It's Zach, right? Or is it Zed? I don't care. Anyways, I was just over there thinking about my duties as president, as one does, and I started thinking about all of my inferior subjects, such as yourself."

Zach furrowed his eyebrows and went to speak before Roman cut him off.

"Now, Zero, I've noticed that you've been having some trouble in chemistry lately; you're barely pulling a C- in that class. Maybe if you spent less time trying to find the chemistry between yourself and Amanda, you could have a B- instead. I mean, Amanda's a lesbian anyway, so it wouldn't work out."

"Dude, can you-" "Look, it's not my job to watch over the trash in school, at least not you in particular, but it is my job to make sure everything runs smoothly enough so that you're parents don't regret having you just yet. How about you go to class now, I don't report this to the principal, and your parents remain oblivious to the regret and shame you bring them for another day?"

Zach stared at Roman, half in shock and half in anger, before storming off to his class. 

Patton wrapped his arms around Roman tightly and thanked him profusely. Roman scoffed and rolled his eyes. "I didn't do this for you guys; I just don't feel like walking all the way to the principal's office." Remus smirked. "Sure, you didn't." Logan smiled warmly at Roman. "No matter your intentions, still, thank you." Roman's face went a bit red as Logan smiled at him. The human boy awkwardly cleared his throat and lightly pushed Patton off of him. "Right. Anyways, I have to get to class."