Special Enough | Platonic Logince

summary: while on a group road trip, roman notices that logan seems off and dazed. once he discovers why, he does his best to make logan feel a little better.

word count: 651

super short, i could not think of anything else to do sjdhfkdsj; also, this is platonic, but it can be romantic ;)

tw/cw// crying, sad logan, mentions of a breakup, mention of dating as a prank, that should be it :)

~~~~

As a group that's become close over the past four years of high school, Roman and his five friends planned a road trip after graduation. Years of planning went into the trip, and each of them was excited to go on the trip. 

Logan, especially, was excited to go as he and Roman were the primary planners behind the whole vacation while stressing over schoolwork for four years. 

However, once Roman turned to Logan from his spot in the passenger's seat, expecting him to be laughing along with the others, the nerdy boy's face was stubbornly focused on the road, an almost empty look that sent chills down the passenger's spine. Roman frowned and looked down at his phone, opting to look for old pictures to recreate as their older selves. He came across one photo that caused Roman's brain to click. 'That's why he's upset.'

The picture was of Logan and his boyfriend of a year and a half, Jack, during Logan's birthday just months ago. In May, a month before graduation, Logan was brutally dumped, although Roman didn't know many details about it, and the studious boy still hadn't recovered. Jack was supposed to come on the trip with them, but after seeing the pain he caused Logan, they all decided it would be best to cut him out altogether.

"Logan, are you okay?" Roman whispered to the driver gently. Logan glanced at him and gave a simple nod. The extroverted friend bit his lip and pointed to a sign for a nearby space museum. "Should we go there next?" The others nodded as Logan robotically followed the directions to the attraction.

Upon walking into the building, everyone immediately split up as different displays caught their attention. Roman eyed Logan warily and silently followed him as he beelined for a model of the Milky Way.

Once Roman caught up to Logan, he could see the bright spotlights reflecting off the nerd's watery eyes. "Lo?" Logan stared at the exhibit with a sad smile. "He told me we'd 'explore the galaxy together.' I told him that would be impossible since our technology has not and likely will not advance that far at any point in our lives. He didn't care, and he said that with me, anything was possible. He promised." The teary-eyed boy's smile turned into a frown. "But, of course, such a foolish promise can't be kept."

Roman's heart hurt at the crack in his friend's voice. He carefully wrapped his arms around Logan, the height difference making it only slightly awkward as the nerd buried his face in Roman's shoulder, sobbing softly. "Logan, he wasn't worth it. He never respected you, and he was always thinking about himself. If he lost sight of how special you are, that's his problem."

Logan shook his head, mumbling into Roman's sweater. "That's just it, Ro. He didn't even think that, to begin with. It was all a prank. An elaborate one, sure, but it was all to make me look foolish. I should've known I could never be special enough for anyone." 

The eccentric boy sighed and pulled back, holding him by the shoulders and attempting to make eye contact, though Logan resisted. "Look, I don't have feelings for you like that, but you're one of my best friends, Logan. You are special enough. And not just for me, for everyone. We all love you, Lo. We wouldn't be friends with you otherwise."

Wiping at his eyes, Logan sniffled and finally looked at Roman. "Thanks, I guess. I, um, don't want to be alone for a while." Roman grinned. "Well, it's a good thing our trip is two weeks long. How about we look around the museum some more, and then we go out for some terrible burgers at a local diner?"

The taller boy pretended to think it over, suppressing an amused smile. "That sounds horrible. Let's do it."

~~~~

my gosh, this past week did not pass the vibe check :D sdhfkjsk but it's over now, and hopefully, the next few weeks will be good. at this point, my upload schedule may as well be sunday and wednesday bc i cannot seem to upload on time recently :,) but i hope you all enjoyed anyways, love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

9/19/21