Quarantine Glow-Up | Analogical

summary: virgil has a crush on his best friend in freshman year. after a global pandemic hits, and people are allowed to go back to normal, his best friend gets a major glow-up, further flustering virgil.

word count: 1274

this week has not been kind :/ but thomas finally released the janus mungus play-through today, so that was fun :)) (also, they start as freshmen here, and when they come back, they're juniors :))

tw/cw// kinda anxious/jealous virgil, mentions of the pandemic, slight cussing :))

~~~~

Virgil laughed as Logan made fun of the ridiculous questions that were involved in MASH. "Why would this have any determining factor in my life?! I sincerely doubt I'd be marrying Danny Devito." Logan exclaimed with a small laugh. 

Virgil lived for these moments, just him and Logan, no one else in the world. This felt right.

"Hey, Logan?" Logan turned to see his partner for an algebra project standing there awkwardly. While Logan's smile faded a bit, it didn't completely go away. "Could you help me with my geography homework? It's due today, and I really need to finish it. I don't want to be working on it during algebra, then I'd feel bad because you're doing all the work-" Logan rolled his eyes and nodded playfully.

He was aware this was just his classmate's way of asking him to help him cheat; Logan had often gone through this exact scenario. The guy thanked him and walked back to his table, waiting in his seat for Logan to follow. Logan stood up and pulled his backpack on, smiling at Virgil. "I'll see you after spring break, okay?" Despite the metal that overtook Logan's teeth, Virgil couldn't help but feel his heart skip a beat at the bright smile. The emo nodded with a smile, watching Logan walk away.

'After spring break.' Virgil thought the idea was bittersweet. While he had something to look forward to, it was still upsetting that he had to wait about nine days to see his crush again.

~~~~

Virgil glared at the newsperson on the TV screen. He didn't have a grudge against the person themself; they had nothing to do with the global pandemic. Virgil was mainly upset with the world. 'Why did I have to go through the plague now? You couldn't have kept everyone safe like a good boy doing his good boy tasks?'

It had been two weeks since school let out for spring break; the school had now decided that the students would be staying home for online instruction as long as they needed to. Everything in the news was concerning, but the one thing on Virgil's mind was Logan. He had no way of contacting the boy, being too nervous to ask for his number earlier. It didn't help that Logan had no social media either, effectively cutting him off from the vast majority of the world.

'I hope you're okay, Logan.'

~~~~

Virgil checked his phone for the fifth time in the past minute, looking around as he bounced his leg impatiently. Remus and Roman snorted and sat down beside the emo boy. "Are you waiting for your boyfriend?" Roman teased. Virgil glared at them, not putting any real meaning behind it. "Ha, ha, ha. You're so funny." He replied dryly. 

Virgil looked back at the parking lot before jumping his attention back to the twins with wide eyes. "Wait, Logan's your cousin, right?" They both stared back at Virgil with amusement. "Yeah, why?" Remus asked, smirking behind his face mask.

"Is he okay? Is he coming back?" Virgil quickly asked. Roman rolled his eyes. "He's fine, but he's not coming to school. Not until everything is '100% safe,' as he put it." Roman placed air quotes around his words, showing that he thought Logan was being ridiculous. 

Virgil bit his lip and nodded. He knew students still had the option to stay home; it was just upsetting that he'd gone 13 months without seeing the boy that used to be his best friend.

~~~~

Masks weren't necessary anymore, and vaccines had been given out to every student at school (and pretty much everyone in the city). As such, all students were coming back to school again.

Roman and Remus sat beside Virgil, who, despite looking calm, bounced his leg up and down nervously. Remus grinned, "You know, I think Logan moved schools." Virgil's worried eyes snapped up to meet Remus's. "Really?" Roman rolled his eyes with a smile. "No, he's messing with you. Logan should be here...right now, apparently."

Virgil whipped around to see Logan exiting a car from the driver's side. 'He can drive now?' Virgil thought curiously. The second the nerdy boy turned around, Virgil's curious and excited stare turned into a gawking and captivated one. 

"See, this is why I told you we should've worn our bad bit-" "No, Remus. It's against the dress code." "But he came here looking like Timothée Chalamet, and we look like your garden variety American teenagers, it's not fair."

Virgil ignored Remus's whining, but he was right about Logan. The boy resembled Timothée Chalamet, Conan Gray, Shawn Mendez, even Rowan Blanchard in the right light. Suddenly, Logan was close by and sat beside Virgil, who desperately tried not to act weird around him. 

"Logan, Logan, Logan, what did I tell you yesterday?" Remus tsked. Logan jokingly rolled his eyes. "I believe you said not to come to school 'looking like a snack.'" Virgil nearly jumped at how low his voice was compared to the last time he'd heard it. 

"And yet you still did," Remus said in fake disappointment. Logan shook his head and turned to Virgil as Roman and Remus got wrapped up in a separate conversation.

'Crap, he's looking at me now. Act natural. How did I use to talk to him again?' Virgil forced an amused smirk. "Long time, no see, huh?" Logan chuckled and nodded. "Last time I saw you, I was about 5'5", and you were 5'4"." Virgil stared up at Logan, just now realizing the height difference. "I'm 5'9" now, in case you were wondering," Logan said smugly.

Virgil scoffed, hiding his blush. 'I'm totally not thinking about how comfortable it'd be to cuddle with him right now.' 

"Hey, Logan, right?" Logan turned to see a girl and a boy, both of which he vaguely recognized, standing in front of him nervously. "Uh, yes?" "We were wondering if you were gay." The girl rushed out quickly. "If you're gay, would you like to go out with him? If you're not, would you like to go out with me?" Unbeknownst to Logan, Virgil was glaring daggers at the two. Logan chuckled uncomfortably. "Um, I am bisexual." 

Virgil perked up at that, having not known that about him. "And I don't..." Logan trailed off awkwardly. He didn't know how to reject people, having not been given that kind of attention before. Virgil quickly grabbed Logan's hand. The touch wasn't foreign to the two boys, having held hands when either one got overwhelmed or to comfort one another.

But since they hadn't been around each other for over a year, the touch sent a spark through their hands. "He's taken, sorry." The two sighed and nodded, walking away.

"That was unusual." Logan shrugged it off, not too worried about it. He glanced at the emo, then down at their hands. "Virgil?" 

"Yeah?" 

"You can let go now." 

Virgil's face reddened, and he immediately let go of the other's hand, causing Logan to laugh. "Thank you, though. That was greatly appreciated." Logan scanned Virgil's face, deciding to take a risk. "You know, that might happen more often now. People showing an interest in me, I mean. Puberty came in handy during quarantine, and I can't blame anyone that recognizes that fact." 

Virgil shook his head. "Nope. I won't allow it." Logan hummed in amusement. "And how are you going to enforce this supposed ban of flirtation?" Virgil thought for a moment and slipped his hand into Logan's. "Simple as this."

Logan lightly squeezed Virgil's hand and gave him a soft smile before beginning a calm conversation with the twins.

~~~~

i have been actively avoiding writing about quarantine bc it's so annoying (bc some people can't follow the rules :/ sadly), but i got this idea the other day, and i just had to skhkfjdkj anywho, hope you all enjoyed, love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

5/29/21