Online | Implied Prinxiety

summary: roman doesn't enjoy his real life, but he loves the life he lives online with his internet friend.

word count: 511

i was gonna make this sad (like the tiktok this is based on by @//.luek on tiktok), but i decided to leave it on a vaguely happy ending :))

tw/cw// sad roman, that should be it :))

~~~~

Roman Prince was a nice enough kid that people respected him. But he found that his day-to-day life was incredibly dull, and most people didn't understand him or try to be there for him. 

As he walked numbly through the halls, overhearing gossip and personal conversations, he bumped into a taller boy whose name he could never figure out. Roman had never talked to the emo boy with purple hair, but he'd passed by him enough to know he had a slight crush on him. The emo boy's eyes widened upon seeing who he'd bumped into before he quickly rushed away from Roman. 

'Another failed attempt at a real human connection.' The short boy thought disappointedly. 

~~~~

Although Roman didn't have much excitement or fun in his real life, he always felt the closest to one person in particular.

As soon as Roman got home, he greeted his mom just like clockwork and went directly to his room before shutting the door and turning his computer on. Roman slid his headphones over his ears and got back into his daily routine. 

Roman had one true friend, an online friend but a friend nonetheless. He went by the username emo_nightmare, his real name being Virgil, and, luckily, his schedule always seemed to align with Roman's. The two played online together for four years, either by themselves or with more players; they never really minded either way, but Roman preferred when he and Virgil could get into long conversations alone, confiding in each other.

"Hey, Ro. Ready to play?" Virgil's voice sounded through Roman's headphones. "Of course," Roman said with a smirk. 

Just as they always did, the two boys played for hours, only briefly taking a break to eat dinner with their families individually. Roman almost called it quits at 11, knowing it was a school night and he wanted to get a good night's rest. However, Virgil pushed for one more game, leading to a long night of laughs and conversations. 

At four in the morning, they finally ended their call and logged off the game. The moment Roman saw Virgil's icon lose its 'logged on' status, the smile fell from his face. He took off his headphones and looked around his room before checking his phone. No notifications. Roman was back to his dull and lonely life, a life he desperately wanted to leave in pursuit of a better one. 

He shuffled over to his bed and almost immediately fell asleep. His dreams were filled with hopeful thoughts, like the idea that Virgil could be the adorable emo Roman found himself crushing on at school. 

'I can only dream.'

~~bonus :p~~

Virgil sighed, leaving his computer and flopping onto his bed. A shy smile and a blush came to his face as he remembered that he spent hours talking with Roman Prince, the boy who has been his crush for two years. He hoped one day he could gather enough courage to talk to Roman in person; until then, he'd settle for these daily playthroughs he had with the sweet, outgoing boy. 

~~~~

short lil thing skdjkj hope y'all enjoyed, love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

8/10/21