Be There | Platonic Intrulogince

summary: remus has a nightmare, and his brothers come to comfort him. even if their parents aren't there for their sons, the brothers will always be there for each other.

word count: 930

all of them are brothers here, nothing romantic at all X_X. also, just fyi, remus is ten, roman is 20, and logan is 22 :)) (i'm dreading monday bc i have to take my ap test T-T spain without the s :D)

tw/cw// nightmare, crying, slight panic attack, mention of de*th, mention of car crash, that should be it :)

~~~~

Silent sobs wracked Remus's body; he whimpered and hyperventilated uncontrollably. 'He's gone; I'll never see him again. It's not fair.' Thoughts forced their way into the ten-year-old's head, and he could see Logan's last moments vividly; he could see the crash, the funeral, the coffin.

A gentle hand rested itself on Remus's arm, rubbing up and down. "It's okay, Cephy, it was just a dream." The rough, familiar voice made Remus cry harder. The person, who Remus now recognized as Logan, sat on the side of his bed and turned the light on, still rubbing a calming hand over his arm.

Remus sat up and hugged his 22-year-old brother tightly, gripping his shirt in his hands, afraid to let him go. "What happened, Remus?" Remus shook his head and sobbed into his oldest brother's shoulder. "F-Felt real." "Remus, I need you to breathe, okay? Try to breathe." Remus followed Logan's instructions, eventually getting down to slight hiccups. 

Remus let go of Logan, somewhat reluctantly, and sat back in his original spot. "Okay, now, do you want to talk about your nightmare?" Roman, who was the middle child at 20 years old, entered the room, handing a water bottle to Remus. The teary-eyed boy took it and carefully took a sip. Remus felt embarrassed now; the fear from his dream was still present, but he always felt ridiculous for still being scared of his nightmares. 

"You died. It's dumb, but it just felt so...real." "It's not dumb; it's perfectly okay to be frightened after a dream like that. But I'm still alive, see? I'm right here." Remus glanced up at his brother, then looked back down at his bedsheets.

When Logan sighed, Remus looked back up to see Logan and Roman sharing a look, probably waiting for Remus to say something. The youngest brother scanned Logan's face; flashes of memories danced through Remus's head: Logan teaching him to walk, reading books with him, going on bike rides around town, helping him with homework; it was happening all at once in his head.

Remus looked back down. Most of his life centered around following after Logan and Roman; he always cared deeply for his older brothers. Thinking about how much Logan could've missed from life made Remus's eyes water again. He softly grabbed Logan's hand, inspecting it as he tried to calm himself down. "Remus, what's wrong?"

"I just...I guess I'm still stuck in my head. Just promise me you'll be okay? I don't want you to die at all, but promise me you won't die before you get old. And I mean like 119 years old, not 50." Logan opened his mouth to argue that he'd most likely have no control over his death, and living to be 119 years old was unlikely, but Roman stopped him with a shake of his head. Logan reluctantly nodded. "Okay, I promise."

Roman ran a hand through Remus's hair. "Do you want to go back to sleep, Cephy?" Remus quickly shook his head, causing his older brothers to share another look. "It's already 5." Logan pointed out. Roman nodded and walked out of the room. Logan looked back at Remus. "Do you want to start getting ready, then? We still have about three hours before you have school."

Remus nodded and began getting ready as Logan left.

~~~~

Roman glanced at the staircase, knowing Remus was still upstairs getting ready. He looked at Logan, who was standing by the front door, idly scrolling on his phone. The younger of the two cleared his throat, gaining Logan's attention. "What?" "It's 7:30. Mom and Dad still aren't up yet. I thought you were going to talk to them." 

Logan sighed and leaned against the wall, pocketing his phone. "I did. They're up; they just aren't here." Roman rolled his eyes. "As if they didn't do a good enough job screwing up our childhood." Logan looked at the ground. "I believe that might be the problem, why Remus suffers from those nightmares. He can sense the tension when we're here, but he's not sure what it is. I'm sure when we're gone, he experiences fewer nightmares."

Roman scoffed. "So what? We just leave him here with parents that abandon him every few days?" The older man shook his head. "No, never. I was thinking Remus could move in with me. I already have an apartment a few minutes away, and it's close to his school. I'd need our parents' permission, but if their parenting skills over the years have been any indication, they likely wouldn't care."

Roman glanced at a picture that had been taken of the three brothers years ago. Remus had taken his first steps, and, of course, Roman and Logan were the only ones there to witness it. However, their mom decided to take a picture as soon as she got in the room to at least represent the moment. That day was one of the few times the family acted like a real family, when their parents acted like real parents and took an interest in their sons. 

Roman nodded. "That might be for the best. We just need to do what's best for him." Logan nodded in agreement.

Remus finally stumbled down the stairs and gave a slight grin to his brothers. "So, are we going?" Roman smiled and ruffled the young boy's hair. "Sure, and we're getting McDonald's on the way because I don't feel like making anything right now." Remus cheered and ran out the front door. Roman followed after him with a smirk as Logan playfully rolled his eyes.

~~~~

writing this brought me back to my spn amino days bc i remember reading a fanfic of samandriel, cas, and luci where it's /almost/ the exact same story with luci as logan, cas as roman, and sammy as remus, lol anywho, hope you all enjoyed this very short fic, love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

5/8/21