Rumors | Dukexiety

summary: remus's ex-boyfriend is spreading rumors about him, claiming things that aren't true

word count: 726

so this is based on maniac by conan grey, just bc i really like remus and i really like conan grey :)) (also, i had my ap test yesterday and i was so motivated bc i wanted to ace it just to spite this guy who said i wasn't smart and these two other kids who always act like they're better than everyone else. i literally lived the plot to the intrulogical testing trouble one shot skhfkdjkjdf)

tw/cw// sad remus, unsympathetic virgil, mentions of manipulative/abusive behavior (virgil-stans should def be warned for this one, there is literally no redemption for my boy :/)

~~~~

Roman sat down beside his twin brother, frantically tapping his shoulder. "Okay, normally I wouldn't tell you what other people are saying about you because you either don't care or you would care too much, and I don't want to hurt you, but I think this is important for you to know." 

Remus stared at Roman as if he had three heads. "Okay..." He trailed off. Roman was much more partial to drama and gossip than Remus, 'I probably won't even care about what he's going to say.' 

Roman took in a deep breath. "Virgil is going around telling everyone that you're obsessed with him and that you can't get over the break-up." 'Nevermind then.' Remus thought. 

"He also claimed that while you were dating, you were very possessive of him and that you hated not being around him. Which I know isn't true because you actively tried to get away from him because you needed space. 

"And he said that yesterday you showed up at his house and were like stalking him, and his new friend, Jason, is backing him up. I kept trying to tell them that wasn't true because you and I were packing stuff at the house all day yesterday, so you didn't have time to leave to stalk him. But he's very persistent about the whole thing, and that's when I came over here to tell you."

Roman finally stopped talking and looked at Remus sympathetically. Remus usually didn't care about whatever gossip Roman overheard, but he hadn't expected that.

"Woah, okay. People believe him?" Roman winced and nodded. Remus frowned and self-consciously wrapped his arms around himself as he glanced around the cafeteria at the other students, just now realizing they were stealing glances at him as they whispered to each other. "Thanks, Roman." Roman nodded. "If you want me to do anything, just say the word." Remus nodded, and Roman left to...wherever. 

Remus stared down at his food tray and sighed, putting on a brave face. Just then, Virgil and his new friend group passed by. Virgil whispered something to the other boys, causing them to snicker and walk away. The darkly-dressed boy sat down beside Remus with a sigh. "What do you want?"

Virgil shook his head. "I'm not here to fight with you. I just..." Virgil looked around before scooting closer to Remus and whispering to his ex-boyfriend. "I want to get back with you. Breaking up obviously wasn't the best thing for us, and you make me better. Without you, I'm miserable." 

Remus forced himself not to look the emo boy in the eyes, knowing he'd fall for his trap once more if he did. "That's it?" He brokenly whispered back. "You just want to get back with me because it makes you feel nice? Is that why you've been talking about me to your trashy friends?" Virgil sighed. "Look, I was upset and acted stupid. But, if you get back with me, I could convince them it was all a joke."

Virgil reached his hand over Remus's softly, to which the usually eccentric boy quickly recoiled. Remus ran a hand through his hair. "You told them I was a stalker, Virgil, that I was an obsessed freak that followed you around like a puppy. Our relationship was great before you started manipulating me into constantly being under your watch. And now, you're trying to force me to get back together with you because that's the only way the rumors will stop. I don't think you understand how screwed up that is."

Virgil's expression was now blank, somehow darkening. "Who here has more power, Remus? Without me, you're nothing." Remus bit his cheek and nodded. "I'm okay with that. I'd rather be nothing than be stuck with you." 

Remus grabbed his backpack and stood up, finally looking Virgil in the eyes. "Besides, those guys aren't really your friends; they're just hanging around you because they think you have some information that they could use against me. The second they find out you have nothing, they'll ditch you, and your temporary popularity will be gone."

Remus shrugged and walked off without another word. He'd truly loved Virgil at one point. But he knew he had to leave; Virgil was overbearing, abusive. The green-wearing boy clutched his backpack straps tightly and forced himself not to cry, not yet.

~~~~

idk where i was going with the ending, i just really wanted to finish this one ToT. anywho, hope y'all enjoyed, love you all, stay safe, buh bye!!

5/11/21