Chapter 14 ~ Lies

Dan's p.o.v

I walked up the stairs of my apartment building, every now and then watching my back in case of phangirls who just don't respect our privacy. My palms sweating and my heart is racing, knees weak and fragile.

It wasn't long before my anxiety started to kick in.
Everyone in here must thing I'm stupid, they're all staring at me...

I get an odd glance from every passing stranger.

With this bruise I look so silly, I'm hoping Phil doesn't think the same thing...
What if he does though?

I could walk in there and he could just see me as an ugly, vile boy. I look untidy too. My hair's a mess. I hadn't bothered to brush it before I escaped home.

I probably smelt bad too, considering its been a few days since I showered and the streets of London aren't always puppy dogs and fresh baked bread.

Its more, allyways smelling oddly like cat-piss and weed. Or streets smelling like cigarettes and disappointment.

Maybe that's just the way I saw things though, Phil seems to see a whole different world to the one I live in.

He notices things like, pennies loose on the street, people laughing or the colour a building has been painted, the name of a shop and how it rolls off your tongue, the boy could make a car crash seem like a summers day.

Its just him. Its normal Phil, people have said he's too childish, but Phil isn't stupid. No, He's optimistic. I'd love if the world were full of people like Phil. Sure as hell would be a happier place.

Phil has ambitions, he wants to see the world, all the countries and their stars, but he always wants happiness along the way, he takes the people who mean most to him and makes it their ambition too.

I'd get no where without him.

I noticed I'd been lingering outside the apartment door for a while now.

I exhaled slowly, a reminder that his family would still be inside. This is the worst possible impression to give to Shelley too. Oh fuck.

I clenched my fist tight, and nodded, willing myself to go inside.

I raised my fist and knocked.

Wait.. I knocked? Am I fucking stupid? It's my apartment I have a bloody key.

I heard footsteps and voices enacting from behind the door.

I felt my heart race, Phil. Phil. Phil.

The door swung open, Mrs Lester.

"Da- oh! My! What happened?" She asked gesturing to my face, she kept her voice low, knowing I probably wouldn't want attention.

"I got roughed up... By some boys at the uh- tube- train station... Underground." I just named 3 different things. Smooth.

"Recently? On your way? Phil will go mad! Come through, sneaky, okay? I'll get you some ice to cover it and then we can at least act as though it isn't as bad as it really is, as Phil cannot see it" she said shakily, guiding me to the kitchen.

"Does it hurt?" She asked, rummaging through the freezer.

"Not really" I lied through my teeth.

She didn't reply, she just shut the freezer and handed me an ice pack, like the ones you'd get from school if you bumped your head, I remember Phil had bought these.

"I'll go fetch Phil, he has missed you a lot you know? I need to pack, ready to leave so he'll keep you company" she confirmed, smiling brightly, she had a smile as bright as Phil's.

I nodded and she turned the corner, calling out for Phil to come through.

I glanced at the all too familiar kitchen, with fairy lights I'd hung and little festive trees, a surprise for Phil I recall.

I heard an airy gasp behind me, I spun round, holding the ice to my face.

The smile on Phil's face didn't falter at all though, he rushed over to embrace me.

"Dan!" He squeaked.

"Hi" I mumbled sheepishly, I must look a fool, holding a pack of ice to my face.

Phil peered at me, pointing to the ice pack.

"What happened? I thought I was the clumsy one!" He chuckled, his tongue edging out the side of his mouth as he did.

"I had some trouble with a few boys at the underground station" I muttered. Liar.

The smile left Phil's face immediately.

"Who was it? Did you call the police? What did they take?" He spat, resting a hand on my arm out of concern.

"Nothing, just some fun I suppose" I replied, bluntly.

"Can I see?" he asked softly.

I should've said no, but he stood there, his beaming eyes full of worry and lip quivering anxiously. How could I?

I peeled the ice pack off my skin, revealing the wounded flesh.

His eyes widened and his jaw clenched tightly.

"Look what they've done to you" he said, his voice was dead. Lifeless.

"I- its not too bad" I said reassuringly.

"Not too bad? I bet the monster had to punch hard. Atleast more than once to do this damage!" He cried. His eyes were filling with tears now, they just looked more clear and the tears made them shine brighter.
Oh yes, dad knew how to make me look good.

He pulled me into a gentle, but comforting hug. I tucked my face into the crook of his neck and cried too.

Simply because I'd had to lie, all because the reality of the situation was far too dense and real, it'd scare him more.

But now I'd have to live with the solid lies, once to protect him now only making things worse.
I'm sorry Phil. I'm so sorry.
It's not my fault! It's my dad, all him.. I hate him.
I hate him. I'm sorry Phil.