Chapter 20

Andy hadn't stopped crying since she arrived home and even when everyone was calling her, she couldn't answer, especially when it was Austin. She almost answered him a couple of times, but remembered what grandfather had told her. She knew Carlos more than anyone and she knew he would, regardless if Austin was family or not. It was times like these that she wished she could go back home and never leave.

Close to getting dark there was a knock at her door.

"Andy it's me, open up."

Andy got off the couch and walked over to the door, opening it to her brother.

"Hey."

He went up to her and hugged her, closing the door behind him

"Carlos just showed up to the hospital and I knew."

"Carlos will never let me go."

"I know that's why I think you should leave."

Andy pulled away, looking up at her brother.

"What?"

"I have a friend in California, you can stay with them for a while at least until Austin gets better and Carlos..."

"You don't know Carlos, he'll find me and then it'll be worse."

"It will be worse if Austin finds out and he sees you with Carlos."

"Austin is going to hate me and I don't know that I'll be able to live with it more than never seeing him again."

"So you're telling him?"

Andy swallowed and nodded.

"I have to, I can't lie to him. Despite what he did to me, I can't."

"What about Carlos?"

Andy shrugged.

"I don't have a choice. You and I both know what Carlos is capable of doing if I say no."

"You don't have to say yes, you can go. Tell Austin and then go, I'll figure out a way for Austin to find you."

Andy shook her head.

"I can't! Carlos will kill you and Austin when he finds out our plan. I can handle Carlos, I've done it before, I'll do it again."

"That time killed our parents and nearly got you killed too!"

"Mom and Dad were going to sell me off!"

Andy gasped, covering her mouth. Her brother didn't know the truth, he just knew that Carlos was involved and that there was a fight.

"What did you just say?"

Leo went up to his sister and grabbed her, shaking her.

"Andy tell me the truth?!"

He shook her again and Andy let out a cry.

"I was sold and Carlos showed up as he was taking me. Carlos went crazy and told him that he wasn't taking me anywhere. There was a fight and next thing I know I see Carlos shooting the man, but mom and dad were already down."

"So you never saw who killed mom and dad?"

"No, but Carlos swears up and down that he didn't do it, that his struggle was with the man."

Leo shook his head,

"Doesn't matter Andy, he's still dangerous."

"Even more if I run away and god knows what he'll do to you or anyone. I know what I have to do and I've made up my mind."