Chapter 24

After a couple of weeks of recovery Andy was finally able to breathe normally, but the bruises on her body were still healing since they were so deep into her tissue. Her face was just getting back to normal except for her lip; she would never get rid of the scar she got from the initial slap that started it all. Her spirits were beginning to pick up with everyone keeping her busy, including being able to go back to work.

Carlos was sent back into prison for the domestic violence, rape and a violation of his parole. Apparently he wasn't supposed to leave New York at all or come near her, both of which he did and so he was sentenced to another two years of prison.

"Only two years?"

"It's what they decided; now he might serve less if he doesn't get into trouble."

"How much time?"

"No more than a year, but could be less."

Andy shook her head, she had a bad feeling about it already. That meant she had only a couple of months before he was after her again.

"But he's not allowed out of the state or near you, so if he violates that once again, he'll go back in."

"And we'll have to do this over and over again. It will never end until he makes me pay."

"I understand your concern because I've seen his record and the photos. I'm going to give you some advice and I hope that you really consider it. Learn to defend yourself, have an escape plan, get everyone you trust involved and learn to shoot a gun. It's not illegal to carry a gun in the state of Texas and you have every right to defend yourself, but make sure it's from the front, not behind."

Andy nodded as Austin sat next to her rubbing her back.

"What about the divorce?"

"Well you remember how I said that I would rather see if it's true first?"

Andy nodded.

"Well your marriage isn't legal, he's married to a Cindy..."

He took out the file, but Andy had already known who it was. Her heart dropped and it was like reliving everything again, only this time she was relieved.

"So I don't have to do anything then?"

"Well not necessarily. You still have to file, but he won't be able to do anything about it unless he can prove that he was never married to her in the first place."

Andy shook her head; this was going to take longer than expected.

"It's okay Andy, everything is going to be fine."

"He's going to be so pissed off when he gets out and I can already imagine what he's going to do."

"It's why I'm telling you, learn to defend yourself because you just don't ever know."

"I know... I know."

Andy got up from frustration trying to keep calm since she was still suffering from anxiety.

"Maybe if I just talk to him, get him to understand?"

Austin shook his head, getting up himself.

"I know Carlos, Austin, and he's going to keep refusing this if I don't go see him. This is what he's going to keep doing until he gets me there, so might as well go and get it over with besides I think I need to, so I can make sure he's really in there or I know I won't be able to sleep."

"I can arrange it, private, but still secure."

"Andy..."

Andy looked up Austin.