I would never hurt you

⚠️ Disclaimer:⚠️ This story has been written by me and has not been copied, plagiarized or stolen from any other story or author. Any similarities are purely coincidental and all ideas seen are original originating from my mind.

Artemis
I sat at the kitchen table and ate my Mac and Cheese quietly, not saying much, just eating, lost in my own thoughts. Mrs Chekhov and Everice had long since left the kitchen and I was left alone. The place was quiet and since Dimitri wasn't here, I was the only one. I was grateful for the silence, it was nice.

I finished the Mac and Cheese and washed the bowl and spoon and put them on the rack to dry. I looked at the clock, 10:15. How'd it get so late? I had no idea. I left the kitchen and went to the bedroom. I had no clue where I was going to sleep. There was a sofa in the corner so I took a pillow and blanket from the closet and settled in to sleep.

Just as I was about to close my eyes, the door to the Alpha's Chambers opened. I gasped and hid under the covers. I was being childish and immature I knew but who could blame me?
"Artemis are you in here?"
"Relax silly it's our mate," Caroline said rolling her eyes.
Dimitri walked into the bedroom and when he saw me lying on the couch he stopped.

"Why are you on the couch?" he asked.
"I..I didn't know where to sleep. Is it okay if I sleep here? Or would you rather I sleep... on the floor?" I asked uncertainly.
"I'd rather you'd sleep on the bed where you belong. You're my mate Artemis, not an outsider," Dimitri stated as he walked into the bathroom.

"Oh..I know that, but I just thought-"
"You thought I was going to force you to sleep on the floor because I'm that heartless huh?" he finished bluntly.
"No that's not what I meant," I said hurriedly.
"Yes it is," Caroline said smugly.
"I wasn't talking to you," I scoffed.
"Then what did you mean?" Dimitri asked as he walked out of the bathroom and into the bedroom, shirtless.

"I was just thinking...since it's your room, you may have wanted to use the bed," I mumbled while keeping my eyes on the ground.
"Correction. It's our room. You're my mate, you've full right to stay here," Dimitri told me as he opened the closet and rummaged through it.
I grew quiet. Our room?
I'd have to sleep with him?

"Don't act so surprised Artemis, he's our mate. We have to sleep with him," Caroline choose now to open her mouth and give me her opinion when I didn't ask for it. Typical.
"Can't I sleep on the couch?" I asked softly. "It'll be easier for both of us."

"What will be easier is for you to come sleep with me. You have nothing to worry about, I won't hurt you I promise," Dimitri said  as he closed the closet door and went back into the bathroom with a towel and some clothes. 
"I never said that. It's just that...trusting has proven to be difficult for me," I said softly.
About ten minutes later Dimitri cane back out with a pair sweatpants on and the towel draped around his neck.

"I know you've been through a lot, even though I know nothing of the trauma you endured. But Artemis, I will never hurt you. You're my second chance mate, I will do anything and everything in my power to make you happy," Dimitri said soothingly as he knelt down before me and rubbed my knees through the sheets. Even though our skin didn't come onto contact, I could feel sparks even through the sheets. The mate bond.

"Trust me Artemis, I will never hurt you," Dimitri said again while staring into my eyes.
"I want to believe it. I really do, but it's hard. I trusted once and it broke me. I don't want that to happen again," I whimpered.
"Sweetheart it's okay, you have no reason to be afraid of me. I'll keep you safe from all harm, you have my word," Dimitri said as he stroked the side of my face with his fingers.

I instinctively leaned into his touch. The need to be close to my mate was strong. Goddess knew I wanted to trust him, but I didn't want to be hurt again. To be helpless and powerless over my own fate. I could never allow it.
"You're just so beautiful," he murmured in a deep voice.
"I like your Russian accent," I said gently rubbing my fingers on the two day stubble along his sharp jawline.

"Oh yeah? If that's the case maybe I should use it more often," he chuckled.
"Hmm maybe," I said giggling.
"So are you going to sleep on the bed?" he wanted to know.
At first I hesitated. Then decided it was probably the best thing to do. He said he wouldn't hurt me. And I couldn't run away from the inevitable forever. Sooner or later I'd have to accept him.

"Okay I'll sleep with you. But can I at least have a barrier?" I asked.
"Okay sounds fair. And don't worry about me taking advantage of you in your sleep. Somnophilia isn't something I'm find of," Dimitri said as he got up off the ground and helped me off the couch and onto the bed. Once there I put a barrier up made out of five pillows and a blanket.
I made myself comfortable and laid there with my eyes open staring up at the ceiling.

I'm not sure what time I fell asleep but when I woke up, the room was lit. The sun was streaming into the room and the other side of the bed where Dimitri had been was empty.
"Dimitri?" I called. "Where are you?"
"I'm here. I have a meeting at 9:00, it's 8:15 now, Everice will be here at 8:45," Dimitri called from inside the bathroom.

Yawning slightly I got up off the bed and walked to the closet and looked at my reflection on the mirror. I looked terrible.
Tear streaks stained my face, my hair was sticking out on all directions and there were dark circles under my eyes. I distinctively remembered waking up in the middle of the night after I had a nightmare about Marcus. Fortunately my sobbing didn't wake up Dimitri.

"What am I going to wear when I go shopping with Everice?" I asked Dimitri when he came out if the bathroom wearing jeans and a black shirt.
"Everice will lend you a dress or something. You and her are about the same size," Dimitri said as he brushed his hair.
"Hie do you know my size?" I asked raising my eyebrows.

"It's not a surprise that you're malnourished Artemis. You need to eat more, you're not supposed to be this thin. It's not healthy," Dimitri stated.
"I figured that out myself, no need to remind me," I said in a sarcastic tone as I walked away and sat on the bed.

"I didn't mean it like that," Dimitri sighed and sat on the bed next to me. "I'm worried about you Artemis, I don't want you to fall sick or anything. I'm sorry if it came out as harsh."
I looked at him and saw sincerity in his eyes. Maybe he really didn't mean it. Could I be overreacting?
"Oh no, you're just being melodramatic. It's nothing serious," Caroline said smugly.

I didn't bother answering her. I just blocked her. I swear that wolf was such a pain!
"Did I really hurt your feelings my angel?" Dimitri asked in a hurt voice. "If so, I'm so sorry."
"No it's not your fault, it's just that I have my insecurities and sometimes they tend to get in the way of things...it's not you," I admitted as I placed a hand on his shoulder.

Dimitri looked like he wanted to say something but frantic knocks on the door interrupted him.
"Who is it?!" he shouted.
"It's me duh! Who do you think it is? The Easter Bunny?" an exasperated female voice said.
Dimitri rolled his eyes and shot me an apologetic look and went to open the door and in burst Everice with clothes in her hand as well as several cosmetics.

"I thought you were supposed to come in at  8:45 why're here so early it's only twenty minutes past eight," Dimitri groaned as he closed the door and followed his sister in.
"Yeah but I just found out that Gucci is having an exclusive sale and they've just stocked up on handbags and luggage items," Everice squealed excitedly as she approached me and dumped everything out on the bed.

"And as for you Mademoiselle,  in the shower. We have ten minutes to get ready. Alessandro and Vincent's mates will be here shortly," Everice added as she shooed me into the bathroom.
"Everice take care of my mate please and do not go over the top while shopping. Buy her whatever she wants, but please, do not buy anything she isn't comfortable with," Dimitri said as he handed Everice his black card.

"Yeah yeah whatever," Everice said rolling her eyes as she pocketed the black card.
"Are you leaving?" I asked quickly.
"No I'm just in the kitchen, I'll get the cook to fix some breakfast for us in the meantime," he replied.
"Alright. I'll be out in a few," I said ducking into the bathroom.
"Come on chop chop! I need to get to that store by the time it opens!" Everice said clapping her hands.
"Yes ma'am," I said laughing at her cuteness and impatience.