Chapter Fifty Three

Kai Parker opens his eyes awaking from his dreamless sleep and rolls over in his bed after the cold morning air hits his skin. He reaches his hand out for his wife so he could curl into her but only feels the spot where she should have been. He frowns instantly suspecting the worst possible outcome as she had said a few things the night prior that worried him greatly. For her sake, he pushed aside the feeling in his gut and made love to her like it would be the last time. Before he'd fallen to sleep last night he had begged whatever mighty powerful being that may exist to let her stay with him so they could both be happy and at peace for the first time in either of their lives. However as he gets out of bed and peeks his head in their shared bathroom only to find it empty his heart begins to break. Kai walks through their house checking each room thoroughly and with each step, he begins to fall apart. He knew she was gone, the lack of heartbeat and smell of blood made it obvious as soon as he'd awoken. However he needed to hold onto some sort of hope that last night wasn't a goodbye, maybe she was worried about something but in the end, it would all blow over. When he makes it to the kitchen and spots a note laying in the center of the island and he speeds over to it and opens the paper reading the beautifully written words. As his eyes read over the letter his heart shatters in his chest, this being the same feeling he'd experienced when he believed she was dead after returning from the 1903 prison world. Pure and utter agony. He drops to his knees allowing the letter to fall to the floor cursing as tears slip down his cheeks. Just when they had found peace one of her brothers pulled her back into their dangerous life and now it was going to cost her everything. 

Kai vamp speeds to the bedroom and throws on the first pair of jeans and shirt he could find before hurrying out to their shared car. He starts it and speeds down the road pushing the car as fast as possible. He could not let her sacrifice herself, not after everything she'd been through. She of all people deserved to be happy. He knew he needed to get to Mystic Falls now in order to save her, though he feared he would be too late. He had no idea when she'd left nor what she was planning on doing. As he gets onto the Highway he curses loudly and slams his hand against the wheel repeatedly, he should have known not to fall asleep. He should have woken up and stopped her from leaving, promised her that there was another way to solve whatever she was dealing with. Though his money was on Katherine's plan to blow up the town, he of course was well aware of the issue and chose not to take part in solving it as he desperately needed to remain on her good side if he wanted his free immunity. Never did he think that the Salvatore brothers would rope their sister back in, especially when it would lead to her death. Kai was beginning to feel the familiar rage he was all so used to build up once again, once he got to that town he would tear it apart brick by brick to save her. It did not matter who he would have to kill as long as his girl would be safe in his arms once more. 

-

Though Maddie knew her life was going to end she could not have been happier to return home to her brothers and friends for one last mission. Damon was under the impression that she only had come back to attend their brother's wedding to Caroline. Which of course was a distraction that would lure Katherine out and provoke her to make a move. It saddened the girl that her twin brother was to be married under such circumstances but according to the man himself all that mattered was committing himself to the girl he loved. Maddie was ecstatic for her brother and friend, she was more than happy to stand next to Bonnie as a bridesmaid. Seeing Bonnie caused tears to flow for both, it had been so long and of course, the girl had heard about Enzo's passing. They had spoken a few times but seeing her in person felt much better. Damon was still his normal self, he didn't think his siblings knew of his plan to sacrifice himself however they were one step ahead. They refused to let him throw his life away when he could have everything with Elena, the one person who he'd truly loved. Maddie and Stefan both understood that the cure which flowed through their veins was of no use to them, their lovers were immortal and eventually, they would have to part. The twins would never have normal lives in their marriages, it only made sense to ensure their brother's happiness and sacrifice their own.