Epilogue

Maddie opens her eyes and is blinded by a bright light, as her eyes adjust she is standing in front of the house and Stefan is standing right next to her smiling as they are both finally at peace after an extraordinarily painful, epic life. She was unsure about where they would end up after so many years of living as a vampire, but she wondered if somebody here believed that they were good enough to reside in this heaven. The house looked just as she remembered it, every detail the same, nothing was off. Deep in her heart, Maddie felt as though she was home, her soul was at peace. 

"well this is gonna be a long wait" she says, Stefan grabs her hand as they walk up to the door and open it entering the house, they are greeted by a small girl with long curly red hair standing in the doorway. Maddie smiles and bends down to her level taking in her blue eyes that reminded her of Kai's. 

      "hi" 

     "hi mommy" she says, the girl gasps realizing that this is her daughter that was killed accidentally by Ric years ago, she falls to her knees and hugged her tightly

    "what's your name sweetie?" Maddie asks 

    "Rose" she says the girl gasps as she says the name they had chosen all those years ago.

-

Nearly twenty years after Bonnie had placed him in the new prison world Kai Parker had done it all, he escaped, screwed over his niece, and fought a young tribrid. He had given the girl a choice and unfortunately it didn't work out for him as she left the man tied up to a wooden post in the barn. He tried everything he could to escape but to no avail and he was greeted by the man whose life he destroyed, Alaric Saltzman. Seeing the man brought back every single memory of his wife he had tried so hard to forget and it forced his switch to turn back on, all of the guilt began to seep in as Ric walked over to him slowly holding an ax. 

    "so this is where it ends" Kai says looking at Ric understandingly, he deserved to die after everything he'd done. It was time and he accepted that

    "its finally time for you to pay for what you've done"

    "speaking of, man I'm so sorry about everything" 

    "oh so now you're trying to manipulate me into letting you go, well that won't work because Jo is still dead" Ric spits angrily at the man 

    "I'm not trying to manipulate you, I just wanna be real. Do you know why I did it?"

    "because you're a psychopath who craves power"

"mm thats true but also not why I did it, you see that night I came back from the 1903 prison world and I was ready to grab Maddie and leave this dreadful town forever but when I come here to find her Bonnie Bennett told me a vampire hunter killed her. I have never loved another human being besides that girl and when I thought she died I snapped, similar to May 10th, 1993 and we all know how bad that was. I only knew of one vampire hunter in Mystic Falls and I couldn't let you get away with it, so I flipped my switch and decided that I needed revenge, an eye for an eye"

    "why didn't you just kill me? why did it have to be her? you knew she was pregnant" Ric asks 

    "well I was killing two birds with one stone, I needed to make sure I could remain the leader of the coven so I would have enough power to bring my girl back. I didn't wanna have to deal with that down the line so I ended it, or so I thought"