Chapter Seven

Maddie grips onto Kai's arm as they carefully walk down the tiled steps, the last thing she needed right now was to slip and break her neck but then come back to life in front of Kai. Once they make it to the bottom they walk into the kitchen and begin searching for some candles they could use for a bigger light source, within a few seconds Kai grabs a few and takes them into the living room setting them on the table before lighting them. She wraps her arms around herself and takes a seat on the carpeted floor trying her best to cover up, she looks up at Kai who sits on the couch fully clothed in a black shirt and pants and she frowns. 

"how did you find clothes?"

"I had a lighter" he responds obviously, she nods and rests her head against her arms hoping the lights would come back on soon as the tension in the room was thick. She wanted to crawl into a hole and never leave. She also didn't trust him enough to be alone in the dark, she had no idea what he was capable of. 

    "hey are you ok?" he asks 

    "yeah why do you ask?"

    "well you seem uncomfortable"

    "I'm afraid of the dark" she lies

    "ok well how about you think about something else, tell me about your brothers"

"ok um Damon is the oldest, he has black hair and he's kind of an asshole sometimes. He's very selfish and impulsive but he always does things for the right reasons. Once he considers you one of his people he will do anything for you. He acts like he's this horrible person but he's not, he just does stupid things for the right reasons" she responds, Kai nods but then frowns as he takes in her words. She raises her eyebrows at him but he waves his hand and she continues. 

"Stefan is the middle child I guess you could say, he and I are twins but he was born three hours before me. He has blonde hair and Damon likes to call him the 'good brother' because he's always saving everyone. He's the hero, he will never leave anybody behind no matter what. But he will do anything to protect his people, no matter what it takes. He has a certain darkness to him, he hates that part of himself but its always there taunting him"

    "sounds like you have two pretty interesting brothers"

    "I do"

    "I just wanna ask how in the hell are you all related? Damon has black hair and Stefan has Blonde?"

    "it's complicated, but yes we are all siblings" 

    "Italians" Kai comments causing her to laugh

    "what about your friends?"

"well Caroline is a control freak, but she uses that to her advantage. She is extremely strong-willed and loyal. Bonnie is one of the most amazing people I've ever met, she's so strong and she inspires me to be better every day. I can always go to her with anything, She is the person who will drop anything to help her friends, she's fiercely loyal and not to be messed with. Elena is a broken soul who has been through too much pain in her lifetime, she's overcome it all and has come out much stronger. I'm proud of the person she's become" 

"wow sounds like you got quite the group of people in your life"

"I did" she responds sadly, Kai smiles at her and nods understandably. He knew what she was going through, he lost everything that day he was brought here. As he sits here listening to her talk he couldn't help but realize how much he genuinely missed being around people, after being isolated his whole life you'd think he'd be used to it but he wasn't ready to be alone for eighteen years. He missed talking to people, that is how he got his energy, he was an extreme extrovert, and being around others is how he thrived. Maddie Salvatore was giving him so much more than he'd ever had in his life really. When they almost kissed in the pool he wanted more than anything to just pull her into his arms and kiss her until they had to pull away to breathe, he still wanted to at that moment but he knew that just because he was starved of touch didn't mean she was. 

    "Kai what about you? Did you have anyone at home?"

    "no"

    "Were you in love?" she asks curiously 

    "no I haven't ever loved another human being in my life, love is a myth. Its a theory created to make us feel better about our short meaningless lives"

    "oh I see" 

"if I were you I'd start thinking the same way otherwise you're gonna get your heart broken" he says seriously, the girl stares at him with hurt in her eyes and he avoids them turning to look straight ahead. Just then the lights flicker back on and she smiles, jumping up from her spot.

    "ok well goodnight sleep well"

    "you too" he mumbles

As Maddie makes her way back into her bedroom she throws on her pajamas and curls into the soft blankets. Kai's words repeat in her head, did he really feel that way? Who hurt him bad enough to make him believe such a thing? It made her sad knowing that he truly believed there was no such thing as love, when she knew for a fact it was real. The girl turns over onto her side and stares out the window as the thought of the man she'd loved all those years ago crosses her mind, she still missed him every day. Kai's thoughts on love led her to believe that someone had broken his heart in the past, that was most likely why he didn't want to return to his hometown. She shook the thoughts out of her head, she knew it was real, the best part of life was finding someone who loved you as much as you loved them. Kai just hadn't found his soulmate yet, and neither had she. She hoped that one day he would find his personal and experience true love, she hoped that he would understand just how wrong he was.