Chapter Forty Six

Kai Parker in his forty-four years of existence had never imagined himself settling down and owning a house, doing typical husband-type things. If prison world Kai could see him now he would most likely make fun of how he was pushing the grocery cart as he followed his wife's footsteps. The worst part about the whole situation was that he loved every second of it, he wasn't bored, and he didn't want to hurt a single person in the store. He only existed now to make the woman he loved happy, it was all that mattered to him. He had never felt at home before and these short days he'd spent with Madison Salvatore renovating their new lake house had been the greatest days of his existence. Kai knew that his time with his love was limited, at some point somebody would attempt to tear them apart, whether it be Katherine after she took over Cade's power or her family, or maybe one of the many enemies he'd acquired in his short time out of the prison world. Though they were destined to be the two were never going to live eternity out together, if not a single thing threatened them then the one killer would be time. Maddie had taken the cure for vampirism and there was nothing he could do to keep her from aging. He'd never heard of any spell that would help In her case, though that of course didn't stop him from spending his nights searching while she slept peacefully. Most of his time in fact was spent doing just that, researching through his family's grimoires whenever he got the chance. He was planning to spend his time doing the same while she was gone at the store but when she asked him to accompany her with those beautiful puppy dog eyes he couldn't say no. So there he was following his wife down the meat aisle as she debates between two different types of meats for dinner that week, he chuckles at her efforts as she would not even be the one cooking the meal. 

    "what do you think, Tri-Tip or Steak?" she asks holding both up with her eyebrows raised, Kai places his hand on his chin and pretends to think 

    "Steak" he answers instantly 

    "I figured you would say that, I hoped you would switch things up"

    "I am a creature of habit baby" he responds taking the meat out of her hand and throwing it in the cart, she glares at him and checks the idem off of her list, and looks back up at him. 

    "I'm gonna go grab the milk do you wanna get any snacks you want?" she asks

    "ugh but won't you miss me in that time alone?" 

"sure yeah I will, now go I wanna get home" she responds as she walks away from him and down the aisle towards the milk. He smiles slightly and pushes the cart down the aisle which was conveniently right next to him. He dumps several different types of sweets into the bin. He stares at a box of Little Debbies and shrugs before throwing three boxes in and turns around moving over to where his wife promised she would be. He stops in the middle of the aisle as he spots a man leaning against the glass, normally he wouldn't have thought much of it but his wife's red hair catches his attention instantly. He walks over to her and stops the cart in front of them making sure to hit the dude slightly to back him away from her, Maddie laughs at whatever the guy had said and stops and looks at Kai. Her smile falls slightly and the guy looks over at him.

    "can I help you man"

    "can I help you? this is my wife you're bothering" Kai states glaring at the man angrily

    "Corey wasn't bothering me Kai, he was complimenting my hair actually" Maddie adds attempting to get her husband to calm down a bit, she could tell that he was getting worked up

    "yeah its a beautiful color, did you know that only 2% of people in the entire world have red hair?" 

    "wow that is the most interesting thing I've ever heard than Carrie now if you wouldn't mind leaving now so I can avoid killing you, I happen to like this shirt"