Chapter Fifty Two

As soon as Maddie's phone rang her heart dropped, the time had gone by far too quickly. As she predicted Stefan had informed her that he was on his way to pick her up and he would be there later that night because it was time. She still wasn't sure if her husband would be ok without her, she didn't want him to snap and go on a killing spree after turning his humanity off. She walks into the living room finding him watching an episode of the office while laughing at something Michael Scott had said, she takes a seat next to him and curls into his side waiting for a commercial break so she could talk to him, she didn't want to ruin his mood. After a few minutes a commercial about a blender comes on the screen and Kai groans, she smiles and reaches up running her hands through his hair causing him to look at her.

"Is there something I can help you with Miss Red?" he asks, she smiles at the nickname

"I want to ask you something"

"Hmm"

"If something were to happen to me would you be ok?" she asks causing his face to fall as he stares at her in confusion, however it quickly switches to anger as he sits up from his position and stares down at her.

"Why would you ask me something like that?"

"I need to know that if something were to happen you would be ok"

"How can you expect me to be ok if something happens to you? Why would you even say that?" he says angrily standing up from the couch and staring down at her

"I just need to know"

"Is there something you aren't telling me?", he knew something had to be going on, he Knew Maddie like the back of his hand and could read her like a book.

"No everything's fine" she assures him wishing she had never brought it up in the first place

"Madison Parker I know you and there is something going on but for some reason, you don't wanna tell me. What, do you think I'll lose control? Kill everyone? Be that irredeemable piece of trash my family called me?"

"Of course not Kai how could you say that?"

"You don't trust me!" he yells throwing the coffee table that separated them across the room, she jumps to her feet and backs up from her furious husband

"you need to calm down"

"Why should I?" he roars

"Because you're scaring me" she says, Kai takes in his wife and notices her wide teary eyes and the coffee table across the room in pieces. He feels himself calming down while she stares in shock as he'd never gotten mad at her like that before.

"I'm so sorry"

"Its ok"

"No its not, I scared you"

"When you first turn into a vampire emotions control everything, it's hard to stay calm because everything's amplified" she says approaching him and pulling him back to their bedroom, she sets him on their bed and he stares off into space feeling extremely guilty. She crawls behind him and pulls his body against her chest bringing him down to the pillow with her, she holds him tightly trying to get him to look at her but he turns and faces the other direction. She frowns and places her hand on his arm rubbing it comfortingly.

"please look at me", after a few moments she sighs as he remains still and an idea pops into her head. She rolls his body onto his back and straddles him watching as his eyes widen

"How come this is the only way to get your attention?" she asks, looking down at him smiling softly, he reaches up and moves a strand of her hair behind her ear with a blank face.

"I trust you with my life, I wouldn't have married you and moved across the country to live with you if I didn't"

"Why did you ask me those questions? Is something happening?" he speaks up

"Maybe"

"What can I do?" he asks

"Sit still and look pretty"

"Seriously"

"I need you to be here with me right now" she says as he moves into a sitting position, he brings their faces closer together

"I can do that" he says, connecting their lips, her hands find their way to his hair tugging gently at it as he rips off her shirt using his strength. She laughs and pulls back gently so she can take off his as well.

"I love you so goddamn much" Kai says looking at his breathless wife in awe

"I love you too don't ever forget that" she says bringing his soft lips against hers once again gasping in shock as he flips her over and begins kissing down her neck. Deep down Kai knew that something was going on, he decided not to bring it up as this felt like more of one last night together moment. He tried his best not to think about it as he kissed her body, however the mere thought of her no longer being by his side was sickening. That night was the best they'd ever had as both knew it would be the last. After Kai holds her against his chest tightly, afraid of letting her go in case she would disappear. She watches as he falls asleep and tears fall down her eyes as she realizes she would never see him again.

That night Maddie doesn't get a minute of sleep as she holds the love of her life in her arms tightly, she appreciated every single second of it and as the sun rose over the hill that overlooked their house she gently removes herself from his tight hold. He stirs but remains asleep as she pulls on some clothes, she heads to the kitchen and writes pulls out a pen, writing a small note.

'my love I'm so sorry, I've broken my promise. I couldn't let my brother sacrifice himself, not when he had a chance at living a normal life. we were never going to have forever Kai, something was always going to pull us apart whether it be time or sickness. I prayed that this day never arrived but alas it has. I need you to know that I love you with everything in me, please never forget that. Goodbye Old Timer'

As she walks out of her house quietly she allows the tears to fall down her cheeks, everything in her screamed at her to get back into bed and stay with him but she knew what she had to do. She spots Stefan's car parked in the driveway and gets in silently and buckles her seatbelt and glances over at her twin who had tears in his eyes as well. He reaches over and pulls her into a hug, she wraps her arms around his neck tightly as she cries loudly into him.

"I'm so sorry"

"me too"

"now lets go save our idiot brother" Stefan states pulling away, he stares at her and she nods. He puts the car into drive and pulls out of the driveway, Maddie leans her head against the window and watches in the mirror as her life disappears behind her.