Chapter Forty Two

Kai and Maddie had driven in silence for a few hours as the overwhelming reality of what she'd just done set in. The girl had betrayed her brothers and ran off with someone who had done nothing but hurt them. She couldn't imagine how they must be feeling as she drove away from them trying to put as much distance between her and the supernatural world as possible. Whenever she would have doubts about her decision to leave she would simply look over at Kai who held the wheel loosely and concentrated on the road. He would look over at her and send her a small smile before turning back to the road humming a random tune to himself. When he would look at her all of the thoughts went away, she knew that this was exactly where she was meant to be, where Kai Parker was. Though he'd been gone for so many years he was still her home, he held her heart and always would. She knew they had to get away and live with whatever time they had left together. After everything the couple had been through, they deserved a bit of peace even if it wouldn't last long. Maddie was excited to start her new life with Kai and as she clicked off of the website describing the small town she frowns as her eyes read an add about New Orleans. A place she had always wanted to visit but never got the chance after all these years. The girl knew Klaus was still living in the city he loved and he had certainly gone through a lot in his time. He had a daughter with Haley Marshall who Maddie never got to meet and discovered his older sister had survived despite what he'd been told. Maddie shuts the laptop and turns to Kai.

"can go to New Orleans?" she asks softly causing him to look over at her in surprise 

"thats a 14-hour drive in the opposite direction"

"I've always wanted to go, Klaus promised me he'd show me around if I ever found myself in town"

"so that's what this is about, you wanna see Klaus?" he asks raising his eyebrows

"yeah I do" 

"alright I'll take the next exit" Kai says causing the girl to smile

"wait really?" she asks with excitement 

"of course baby, if you want to see your original hybrid bestie then who am I to stop you? no matter how intimidated I am..."

"thank you Kai really this means a lot to me" she smiles 

"New Orleans here we come"

-

The trip was long as predicted, however neither minded as most of the ride was filled with Kai's random chatter about anything in the world. The girl never minded his rambling as she was just thankful she got to hear it again, Kai was a funny dude. He was very good at making her laugh about the dumbest things. Being around him made her feel so light and free, he rarely took things seriously and that was something she always appreciated about him, she wished she was that way. After about seven hours the couple switched and Maddie took the wheel allowing Kai to get a bit of rest before they arrived. She smiled to herself a few times as she remembered the first time she ever drove a car with Klaus himself, it was one of her favorite memories despite all of the horrible things that were going on in the middle of that. Klaus became her friend while she and Stefan were forced to come with him that summer to create more hybrids. She got to see just how desperate the man was for family and people who cared about him. She understood him and from there a beautiful friendship blossomed. Maddie refused to help the group kill Klaus no matter what he'd done in the past, she was tired of all the killing. 

Even after Klaus left Mystic Falls the two still kept in touch, especially after she became a vampire. It was all new and she knew the best person to talk to would be the first one ever created. He gave her helpful advice about control and promised her that she would be able to survive just fine. He was there even when he wasn't. Over time their communication grew less frequent as both had major things going on, Maddie 'died' and Klaus was waging a war within his own city. He of course was absolutely shattered when he heard of his friend's demise and hadn't handled it well. However when he heard through the grapevine that she'd returned he called her phone and was able to talk to her for just a bit as she was going through a big crisis with the man she loved, Kai Parker. She promised she would come to visit the hybrid but things got out of control after Kai died and she only wanted to live peacefully with no supernatural drama. As the girl parks the car in front of a bar infamous for its magical protection she turns to Kai who was still fast asleep. She smiles and gets out of the car leaving him alone to get some rest as she enters the bar. She walks through the tables her eyes searching for her friend when she stops, seeing him at the bar.