Chapter Thirty Nine

"Malachai wake up!" a loud voice calls, the man refuses to open his eyes in fear of what they would see. The sound of metal clanking and footsteps cause his heart to beat faster, curiosity takes over his body and he watches as Cade himself walks over to him with a glowing red fire poker in his grasps. Kai gulps knowing exactly where this was headed and tries to free himself from the bonds that held him up.

"I'm feeling rather generous today Mr. Parker, I will allow you to choose how I torture you. The options are memories or hot poker"

"how will I ever be able to choose, both are so delightful" Kai replies sarcastically, Cade approaches him holding the poker up to his face close enough to burn the skin. He moves his head as far back as he can trying to hold back a cry of pain.

"ok! I'll have the memories today"

"wise choice, I've got a good one ready for you"

"can't wait" Kai mumbles closing his eyes, a blinding light takes over his vision and fades slowly. He takes in the scene in front of him in confusion, rather than a demon disgusted as Maddie he found himself standing in the Salvatore boarding house with a version of himself yelling at the woman he loves.

"you are smothering me Maddie!"

"how do you figure?"

"every second of the day you are constantly telling me that the past is the past and that's not who I am anymore, but guess what that's exactly who I am and it will never change!"

"I don't believe that for one second" Maddie responds calmly, Kai watches in horror as he realizes exactly what memory was being shown to him. Back in the prison world a few weeks after they had gotten together Kai had felt suffocated by her love, it was infuriating. He remembered the rage that ran through his veins, this had happened before he snapped and tried to kill her, the man had absolutely no control over his anger and took it out on the closest person to him. He hated how much she cared, how she tried to make things better, how she genuinely believed he was no longer a monster. But most of all he hated himself, Kai knew that he would never be good enough for the woman he cared for most in the world. He could never be the man she dreamed of as a child, and it made him beyond angry.

" you've created this persona of me in your head and you expect me to live up to him, but that's not me Madison!"

"Jesus you are so Bipolar! One second you're touchy and loving and then the next you're cold and want nothing to do with me"

"thats exactly what I'm saying! you hold me up to this unrealistic standard and then I disappoint you" he responds angrily

"the only person here who holds you up to a standard is yourself, the standards you hold for yourself are to ensure that nobody ever expects more from you because you think that they'll always be disappointed"

"thats not true"

"yes it is! You hate that I want you to be better because you feel like you'll hurt me but guess what? That's not gonna happen Kai, give yourself some credit" Maddie's words cut him that day, he knew that she was right. However he couldn't accept it, prison world Kai was an angry man who just wanted to be accepted, but didn't know how to be a good person. Prison world Kai was so used to being a disappointment that he made it his whole persona, he wore it like a badge of honor. After Maddie left him standing alone in the living room Kai was left with anger pulsing through his body, he wanted to prove to her that she was wrong.

"don't do it, you'll regret it forever" Kai says walking up to his former self, the man stops for a second looking around as if he sensed the presence before pushing past him and walking out of the door. Kai watches as the past version of himself grabs Maddie's arm and drags her to one of the many cars they had out front, she watches in confusion as he shoves her inside and slams the door before getting in himself and speeding away. A bright light flashes through his vision once again and he covers his eyes, after a few seconds the light dims and he removes his hand looking around at the new scenery. He watches as a car pulls into the driveway and Prison world gets out walking over to the other side and pulling the red-headed girl out and over to the door.