Chapter Forty Four

Kai opens the back door of the car and places the paint on the seat before moving out of the way so she could do the same. Maddie moves out of the way and shuts the door before setting her sunglasses on her face over her eyes, she moves over to the passenger seat and opens the door rather than waiting for Kai to open it like he normally did. He sighs and walks over to the driver's side and gets into the car putting the key in the ignition and pulling out of the parking lot, as he drives down the main road he looks over to Maddie who was facing the window with a blank look on her face, he could tell she was upset. 

    "honestly I don't understand what you want from me, I was defending you against two assholes who I could have easily killed by the way and I still didn't, so what is the problem?" he asks 

    "the problem is that we are supposed to be keeping a low profile, you don't use compulsion unless absolutely necessary and what happened today could have been avoided"

    "so I was just supposed to let those worthless lowlifes disrespect you like that?" 

    "I can take care of myself Kai, I don't need you to solve my problems by threatening everyone who disrespects me" she responds crossing her arms 

"you have defended me against your siblings and your friends more times than I can count, but now when I do it you get mad? how does that make sense? I don't put up with anyone messing with what's mine" he grumbles turning onto the side road, she sighs staring out at the trees as they zoom by them nearing their home.

    "I understand where you're coming from but what happened today wasn't worth outing yourself  there are worse things that happen to women everywhere every single day"

"yeah I guess you're right, but I won't apologize for what happened no man will get away with taking a video of your ass. That ass is mine, nobody else gets to admire it" he states turning onto their road, she looks over to him and laughs at his comment. Kai parks the car in their driveway and they get out moving to the back where they grab the items they'd bought, they take the things in the house and set them on the counter. Maddie watches as he unpacks it all and smiles at him.

    "I really do appreciate what you did, and I'm sorry for freaking out. It's just that I want to be able to stay here and live in peace, the last thing I want is vampire drama"

    "I understand and I promise to do better" he responds moving over to her side, he wraps his arm around her waist and pulls her into him placing a kiss on her head. 

"ok now let's start painting!" she says excitedly, the two change into shorts and old tee shirts that they didn't mind getting dirty and begin taping up the trim of the living room. Kai was able to get half the room done in the time she was able to do a corner as she wanted it to be perfect. Once they finish Maddie bends down and attempts to open the paint while Kai plays down the sheet over the floor so they wouldn't have any spills, she struggles and groans angrily before moving back and running her hands through her ponytail clearly frustrated. He walks over to her and bends down to her level rubbing her back.

    "I hate being so weak"

    "baby you aren't weak" 

   "what do you mean? I can't even open this damn paint!" she responds watching as he takes the tool from her hands and uses It to pop the lid open. He sets the tool down and reaches forward brushing her stray hairs out of her face.

    "you are the strongest person I've ever met, never doubt that just because you don't have the strength you used to" 

"thank you Kai" she responds leaning forward and placing a kiss on his cheek, he smiles at her softly before pulling back and standing, he reaches down and helps her up and watches as they pour the paint into the tin. She dips the roller into it and begins painting long strips down the wall covering up the nasty green with a pretty grey. He then grabs a smaller brush and takes his own tin to the corner before walking into the kitchen, he pulls out their speaker and hooks up his phone to it and sets it on the covers table playing a playlist she'd created. She laughs and starts singing along dancing slightly as she paints, Kai moves back over to his corner and begins working on the trim. 

They were able to finish three walls within two hours thanks to Kai, they were now on the last wall of the living room and they would get to move into the kitchen. Kai stands in the center of the wall painting while making sure to keep an eye on Maddie who was up on the ladder painting the ceiling, she had insisted on doing it herself out of stubbornness and he didn't dare argue. He smiles as an idea pops into his head and begins to draw a design on the wall checking behind him to see if his wife was paying attention, to his luck she wasn't. Maddie was mumbling the words to a Queen song as she tried to get the corner of the ceiling. After a few seconds, Kai's creation was complete and he laughs gaining her attention, she turns to him.

    "what?"

    "I drew you something"

    "oh Jesus" she responds stepping off the ladder, she sets the roller down and walks over to where he stood blocking the wall and tries to push past him

    "what did you do?" she asks, he moves out of her way and she takes in the large penis he had drawn over the green paint. She looks up at him and raises her eyebrows as he giggles to himself before tilting his head back laughing wildly. 

"you are so immature" she giggles before taking the roller from him and covering it up in one stroke, he frowns and walks over to her placing his hand on hers. He forces her hand to paint a strip of grey on her arm and she gaps at him, he moves back with a proud smile on his face and turns back to his painting. The girl looks down at the roller in her hand and paints a large strip starting from the back of his head to his ass and laughs as he screams. He whips around and she backs up holding her hands in the air in defense before hitting the freshly painted wall, Kai laughs loudly and pulls her back. They both turn to look at the damage and burst into laughter as a perfect imprint of her ass was centered in the middle of the wall, Maddie drops to the ground holding her stomach as she laughs harder than she had in a long time.

    "please don't cover it up" Kai struggles in between laughs 

    "what are you gonna do to convince me?" she asks as he helps her up, their laughing fit had died down, she stands to her feet and stares up at him not caring about the paint not stained on her body.

"I'm sure I could think of a few things" he responds pulling her against him, he leans forward connecting their lips kissing her wildly, her hands make their way up to his hair and pull and the ends gently. Kai's hands explore her body moving underneath her shirt exposing her skin slightly as he backs her abasing the covered couch. His head dips down to her neck kissing it gently as her breath begins to quicken she pulls him closer wanting more before remembering their current task which she needed to get done today, she gently pulls away and stares at his confused face.

    "we really need to finish this painting" 

    "and after?"

    "I think we can make time to finish what we started"