Chapter Fifty

"Jesus you don't have to pack the entire house" Kai comments as he watches his wife rush around packing everything she could think of in their bags for their very first beach trip. He had suggested they visit the beach only a few minutes away and she loved the idea, however Maddie had never been to the beach before therefore she had no idea what she needed and what she wouldn't, therefore, she was trying to pack everything. Kai however growing up on the west coast was able to visit the beach frequently growing up, his family even rented a beach house a few times, those were some of the only fond memories he had of this childhood. 

    "you can never over pack"

    "I don't think that's true" he says observing the two large bags she'd filled along with two chairs and the cooler she was now working on

    "I like to be prepared"

    "baby most people just bring a backpack and a cooler you don't need anything else" he responds placing a hand on her arm

    "better safe than sorry" she responds grabbing a hydro flask from one of the cabinets, she places it on the counter and pulls out a large knife from the drawer causing his eyes to widen, he snatches the knife from her instantly and she stares at him angrily.

    "why do you need a knife?" 

    "I was gonna put some blood in the flask for you"

    "no not happening"

    "yes it is" she responds attempting to grab the knife from his hands, he backs away from her and holds it up out of her reach, and stares down at her defeated form 

"Kai stop you haven't fed in a few days, I'm not taking no for an answer" he sighs and hands her the knife watching as she drags it across her palm wincing slightly. The veins under his eyes appear and he takes a deep breath turning away as she drips the warm blood into the flask for him to have. Once she finishes she places the knife in the sink and runs water over the cut trying to ignore the stinging, he sighs and walks over to her biting into his wrist and holding it out to her, she smiles and takes it, drinking a bit before pulling away and watching as it heals her hand easily.

    "I wish you would just let me use blood bags"

    "I told you I don't want you feeding off of other people's blood, also I think it's kinda hot" she mumbles the last part, his eyes widen in shock and he smirks at her 

    "back when I said that you said I was weird"

"yeah well I lied" she responds kissing his cheek, she places the lid on the flask and places it in the cooler before zipping it up. They grab all of the bags off the counter and take them to the car before heading off in the direction of the water, Maddie places her sunglasses over her eyes and rolls down the windows as Kai turns up the volume on the current song playing on the radio. he watches as she sings happily with the wind flowing through her hair without a care in the world and smiles.

Once they arrive the two park near the entrance and get out of the car, they grab their things and begin walking down the steps to the sand where they were met with a surprising amount of people out enjoying the day. They decide to head to a more secluded area and walk through the groups of families laughing and hanging out, after walking for five minutes they find a cute spot with no people too close and set up their chairs and their bags. Once everything was set up Maddie stripped her sweatshirt and took a deep breathtaking in the ocean, it was beautiful, unlike anything she'd ever seen before. The girl had always wanted to go to the beach before she died and now she lived here. She watches as the waves crash against the sand and smiles back at her husband who walks over to her with a bottle of sunscreen in hand, she rolls her eyes and moves her hair out of the way while he sprays her back.