Chapter Nine

It's been a month since Maddie found herself trapped in this prison world as kai calls it, and he was right, she had gotten used to it. The thought of never seeing her brothers again was still heavy inside her heart but she'd found many ways to distract from the pain. Kai is the number one source of entertainment, and they have grown pretty close since he opened up to that night by the lake. Both of them were shocked that he confessed his true feelings, neither had expected it, Kai had a feeling that this would be happening frequently in her presence, it was like he felt the need to tell her everything while making sure she was also ok. He hated the feeling, it was confusing, and he knew she was hiding something. She was slowing down and he knew it wasn't because of depression, something more was going on and it frustrated him that she wouldn't just come clean. He was angry that she was keeping a part of herself hidden and he was angry about his uncontrollable being around her, he was bound to blow soon, and he hoped to god that she was nowhere near him when it happened. Maddie couldn't help but let her guard down around him in almost every way, all things considering he isn't the worst company. To make it worse she'd developed a slight crush on the boy who for some reason loves to eat jam with his fingers. He has something about him that just pulls her to him and she can't seem to ignore it, being with him was so easy. Of course, she hasn't brought it up but she does wonder if he feels it too, or was she just being crazy. She still hadn't told him about her vampirism, the last thing she wanted was to scare him away however she does plan on telling him when she knows that he won't leave.

"Kaiiiii wake upppp" she sings loudly walking into his room, he groans and turns around ignoring her call, she smirks and climbs onto the bed jumping on it laughing at his irritated face.

"wake up we have stuff to do today!" she says excitedly, he then pulls her legs out from underneath her and she falls onto the bed bouncing, she laughs and looks at him with pure happiness radiating in her eyes. His face softens at the sight of her smile and her moves the covers off of his body and steps out of bed revealing his shirtless body, his eyes find Maddie who sits on the bed clearly admiring his body.

"Like what you see Red?" he smirks

"you wish" she says, rolling her eyes before walking out of the room. shortly after Kai walks downstairs dressed in his normal outfit, jeans a tee shirt with a long sleeve underneath with his converse.

    "so pancakes or waffles?" he says

    "hmm how about waffles"

    "alright waffles coming right up"

She sits at the barstool in the kitchen of my house and watches Kai as he makes food like it's the easiest thing in the world. Once he makes the food they eat and then head to the store so she can get clothes for the hike he promised to go on today. They decide to drive to the store in order to conserve energy, and once they arrive Maddie quickly grabs a pair of leggings and a long sleeve walking to the back so she can change into them. Once she's done she waits outside while Kai goes to the bathroom, she sits on the bench and grabs one of the newspapers reading it. Her eyes scan through the tiny words looking for anything interesting before landing on a story about a guy who murdered his family, and his little siblings. She feels sick to her stomach as the name of the boy is printed at the bottom, Malachai Parker. She quickly realizes that Kai is the boy in the story, and she'd been living with a Serial Killer. As if on cue Kai walks over to her where she sits and his face falls as he sees her reading the paper his smile drops from his face as he sees the expression on her face, she was scared of him.

    "so now you know, I'm a monster" he says with zero emotion, his voice sends involuntary chills down her spine, and she doesn't respond

    "I didn't want you to find out like this" he says taking a few steps toward her, she steps back instinctively and he stops as his eyes darken

    "aren't you gonna ask me why?" he asks, the girl only stares back wide-eyed, not able to speak. It was as if her throat had closed

"and now you're scared of me" he says, she shakes her head and tries to walk closer to him, knowing he can't kill her but he walks away before she can say anything. Everything in her screamed to run and never look back, Murdered innocent children who deserved to live. He took their lives away, that was the reason he was sent to live in this hell. It all made sense now, he referred to himself as a monster. He was right. She watches as his frame disappears from her sight before turning to walk away when the tonight of Stefan crosses her mind. Her very own twin had killed an ungodly amount of people back in his ripper days, though it was the darkest time of his life it still happened. Damon had killed far too many people to count as well, and Kai was no different. She could not judge him for his crimes when her own blood had done much worse for much longer, they both had higher body counts. Though she could never excuse what he did to those children she would have to make peace with him as she would be stuck with Kai Parker forever.

Now that she knew his truth Maddie owed it to him to reveal her true self, it wasn't fair that he was living in the dark, he deserved to know. She sighs cursing herself for handling that the way she did, and waits a minute before following after his scent, she spots him sitting on top of a random roof and climbs up herself, just as she was about to sit down next to him her foot slips on the sleek roof and she about loses her footing when a hand shoots out and grabs her pulling her to a sitting position beside him, she smiles gratefully and he turns his head away from her. He was disappointed, which wasn't something Kai Parker was used to, the look on her face was something he never wanted to see again, he didn't want her to hate him. He wanted to like him, enough to tell him everything, we wanted to be with her always.

    "Kai I'm not afraid of you"

    "you should be"

    "you can't kill me"

    "why is that?" he asks

    "I'm a vampire" she states as he looks at her in shock, so this is what she's been hiding. Why hadn't she told him though

    "no kidding, you certainly don't act like one, I thought vampires just speed around and kill people"

    "well some do, but not me. I don't choose to behave like that, I never wanted to be a..." she trails off looking down at her shoes

    "monster?" he asks, she nods sadly feeling disgusted that even now the smell of his blood was mouth-watering.

    "wait you haven't fed this whole time, how are you alive?"

    "being here seems to lessen the need for blood, I'm fine" she says

    "no your not, I've noticed you have slowed down, you're getting weak"

    "kai I'm fine"

    "here take some of my blood" he says holding up his wrist

    "I can't, I've only had human blood once, it would be almost impossible to stop"

    "you can do it, I believe in you"

    "I don't have complete control yet, I could kill you"

    "you won't, and even if you do I'll just come back anyway, this is my prison world, I can't die" he says, Kai didn't want her to die, and if she needed to feed then he was more than willing to provide.

    "Maddie you need to feed just do it I'll be fine"

"ok" she agrees knowing that if she doesn't she will get gradually weaker until she desiccates. Kai lifts up his wrist and she grabs it gently, she sends him one last look to which he nods at. She allows her true form to show and Kai watches in wonder as she gently sinks her teeth into his wrist and he stiffens as she sucks a bit of blood out of him, after only a few seconds she pulls away and stares at him wide-eyed.