Chapter Thirty Five

Maddie had spent her whole day at the wedding reception location trying to organize the silverware and flower decorations for the ceremony, she was very excited to celebrate the two, they both deserved to be happy. It was also a nice distraction from her boyfriend who was trapped in the prison world. The day went by quickly and before she knew it she was sitting in the audience as Alaric and Jo hold hands listening as the reverend has them repeat their vows. Everything happened so quickly and the next thing she was laying on the ground as she stares at the bodies thrown all around her. She reaches up and touches her bleeding forehead and sighs as it heals quickly, she looks around at the destruction in confusion. And her stomach drops as it all comes back, Kai showed up out of nowhere and killed Jo, but something was wrong with him, all of the light in his eyes was gone and he looked like a monster. After she recovered from the explosion she spots Kai talking to Damon and Bonnie who is choking, Damon suddenly vamp speeds away from her and Kai walks away but turns suddenly as he recognizes her scent. He runs over to her, she gasps as something in his eyes changes and it seems like the old Kai is back while he helps her up.

    "you're alive, you're here. I can't believe it" he says holding her in his arms, she stands limp not knowing what he's talking about

    "what did you do?"

"Maddie, it was her Bonnie told me you were killed so I flipped my switch since I'm like a heretic now which is pretty cool. I was so upset that I came here because I thought Alaric was the one who killed you so it was an eye for an eye. I'm so sorry she tricked me I never would have done this if she-" he says

"oh my god, ok we need to get you out of here right now they will kill you!" She panics pulling him alongside her, then Kai grabs her hand and she turns around and looks at him, he opens his mouth to say something but instead, a hand cuts his head right off his body, the blood splatters onto her face and her mouth drops in shock. Damon then rushes over to Bonnie and helps her quickly healing her with his blood as they both watch Maddie from afar. The girl looks at Kai's severed head and then it hits her like a truck, she instantly drops to the ground.

    "no no no", she cries grabbing his head, she attempts to move it to his neck and bites her wrist trying to feed him the blood but nothing works.

    "come on Kai wake up"

    "don't leave me please please don't" she pleads as her vision blurs, then she feels arms pick her up and she thrashes around punching the person in the stomach

    "please Kai I love you don't do this!"

    "Mads he's gone" Damon says, she breaks his grip and stands facing her brother feeling the pure rage flowing through her veins

    "you did this, you killed him"

    "I had to Maddie" he says as he tries to comfort her, she shoves him away and flash her fangs at him angrily

"Do what you have to" he says nodding slowly, she looks down to see a piece of metal piping left behind from the explosion and she rams it into Damon's stomach as tears fall down her face. He screams in pain but she ignore him before running back over to Kai, she gently picks up both parts of him and places him inside her car driving him home. Once she gets there she brings him outside to the cript and places his body on the stand in the middle as she traces his jaw gently with her bloody finger, she shakes her head not wanting to accept the reality, there was no way she could lose her best friend and her love all in one day.