Chapter Thirty Six

It took a few hours to dig a grave and then construct the casket itself, but Maddie needed to do it, no matter how many times Stefan asked if he could help she refused. He was her responsibility, taking care of him in the proper way was something that only she should do. The only thing left was a headstone and Stefan had brought a large boulder over an hour ago, he helps her out of the grave and she grabs a knife beginning to carve into the rock relentlessly. By the time she's done the sun is setting at its beginning to get dark, and Stefan is still by her side knowing that she was going to break. Though she wanted to be alone she appreciated his effort, he never left anybody behind. Stefan helps her put the casket in the hole and then he lays Kai in the casket. She had cleaned the blood off of this suit and before the two then put the top on, Maddie takes one last look at her love, admiring his beauty. After a few moments, she places the top on and hops out of the hole, she picks up the shovel and begins filling it back in. After ten minutes she steps back and admires the finished results.

Kai Parker

1972-2014

"Rest easy Old Timer I Love You" she says, standing over the grave and looking at it one last time, before she leaves Stefan standing alone, he stays behind for a few extra seconds before following her back to the house. As soon as she gets inside she heads into the kitchen to wash her hands of all the dirt and blood from the past day. She scrubs herself hard as she starts to feel the tears fall for the first time since it happened. She shuts the water off and takes a glass and throws it at the wall. Everything seems to hit her and once again she finds herself crying, she hated crying but it was all she knew how to do these days, it was unbearable and her legs give out as she falls to the floor and sobbing. Stefan runs to her aid bringing his sister into his arms tyring his best to comfort her, however he knew there wasn't much one could do during a time like this. Damon sits a few feet away watching as his baby sister breaks down, and for the first time he truly feels guilty for what he did, he would kill Kai any day and be happy about it but seeing his sister like this made him wish he hadn't gone the extra mile for revenge.

    "he's gone stef, he's really gone"

    "I know" he says stroking her hair

    "I miss him so much"

    "I know you do but trust me it does get better"

    "when?"

"you just wake up one day and realize that it doesn't hurt as bad as it did the day before, and then before you know it there's just a small ache in your heart at the thought of them, and life gets back to normal, and yeah you'll have bad days when it seems like it will never get better but you just have to pray for the time when it doesn't hurt as much. And then eventually you'll see something that reminds you of him and instead of sadness you'll be happy to remember" he says. She looks up at him and nods, before bringing her face back into his chest. Neither had any intention of letting go any time soon.

"you won't be said forever I promise" he says