Chapter Forty One

"that's not quite the reunion I expected"

"that was for all the shit you pulled"

"I guess I deserve that"

"I you missed a lot" she admits, pulling him into a hug as tight as she possibly can and he does the same. The feeling of his arms wrapped around her body is enough to bring tears to her eyes. She had begged the universe for just one last moment with him so many times, she had spent countless hours crying herself to sleep, as he plagued her in her sleep as well. Now she had him back in her arms. It was like nothing had changed, he was still the exact same.

"I missed you too", They pull away but he keeps his arm wrapped around her while continuing to hold her as close as possible.

"so I take it you don't have someone else?" he says

"I couldn't move on"

"In hell, Cade has unique tortures for everyone it's a fun little party trick he uses, and mine was watching you die in every way possible. It was all so real and I never knew if you were actually dead or if it was just a mind game" he admits

"Kai its ok, now we are together and Cade is not gonna take you away from me"

"look no offense but you're human now, you have no chance against him" he says

"he's right mads you need to stay out of this" Damon says

"how can I?"

"Maddie can I talk to you alone?" he asks, she nods and smiles as he grabs her hand and walks them over to the corner of the cave

"So I'm sure you know about what I did that night we..." he says

"Kai?" she says sadly

"what? did something happen?"

"the baby didn't make it" she responds sadly as tears begin to fill her eyes, she decides not to mention how in fact she'd lost in knowing that Kai would terrorize the already broken man until he had nothing left. Kai stares down at her sadly and places a hand on her cheek, she smiles slightly and leans into him enjoying the feeling of his warm skin against her own after all this time.

"Oh god I'm so sorry"

"me too"

-

She sits in the car with Kai and Damon, she was in the front and Kai is in the middle back playing on his phone, while Damon talks to Bonnie. Kai breaths on the window and draws a heart and writes m+k in it. He shows her and laughs and while she winks at him. Once Damon is done talking they park and hop out of the car but watch as Kai struggles, she raises her eyebrows and snorts as he trips out of the car. Once he gets out he walks to her and grabs her hand and we walk to Damon into the grill. We take a seat at the bar and of course, they leave her to sit in the middle as Damon interrogates Kai about how in the hell he's here once again. However, Kai ignores him and lifts his phone up, and snaps a quick selfie of the two of them.

"this is definitely Instagram worthy" he says kissing her cheek, She nods and frowns as she feels a sharp pain in her stomach. Both of them sense it at the same time and whip around to see a large bloodstain spreading in her shirt and she falls off of the chair, Kai is able to catch her just in time and brings her back to her feet as he brushes a piece of hair out of her face gently. Damon lifts his bleeding wrist up and she takes several gulps of the blood feeling herself heal.

"what happened?" Kai asks,

"stefan he's hurt"

"why would that affect you?"