Chapter Four

Kai and Maddie walk down the streets of Seattle Washington with an umbrella over their heads as it was pouring rain, according to Kai this was not uncommon for the west coast. As a native of Oregon, he confirmed that it was raining much more often than he'd liked to admit. Kai had already decided on a plan for the evening that he refused to share with the girl, he wanted it to be a surprise. He wanted her to trust that it would be great, that's all he needed from her at this point, trust. Kai holds the umbrella over their heads not understanding the weird feeling in his stomach he got as she was forced to basically huddle into him in order for them both to fit underneath it. After a bit of walking, Kai stops in front of a cute Italian restaurant and opens the door for her, she smiles and walks in taking off her coat and setting it on one of the tables. Kai instantly disappears after walking into the kitchen and she laughs.

    "can I help?" 

    "no just wait out there" 

"ok" the girl does as told and walks over to the windows watching out over the streets, she loved the sound of rain it was incredibly calming. She enjoyed listening to it at night, it would help her sleep after all the horrible memories plagued her dreams. Maddie was lost in her own thoughts with the rain echoing for quite a long time as Kai walks out of the kitchen carrying two plates, she turns and walks over to the table. 

"oh my god Kai this looks amazing"

"thank you" he says placing two glasses along with a wine bottle on the table, they both sit across from each other and begin to dig into the freshly made food he had just prepared. She gasps in surprise causing Kai to look at her.

    "this is hands down the best pasta I've ever had in my entire life"

    "I'm surprised, considering your Italian routes"

    "how did you know I'm Italian?" she asks

   "well you certainly don't look it, but your last name. That's why I brought you here to make you feel more at home"

"thank you, I mean really this brings me back to when my mother used to hand-make her pasta. She taught my brothers and I, she thought it was very important we knew how to make at least one Italian meal. You would have made her proud with this" 

    "I'm glad" he responds taking a sip of the wine

    "so you grew up in Oregon?" 

    "yep"

    "what part?"

    "Portland" he responds dryly, she frowns and takes another forkful of pasta before asking another question. She wanted to get to know him better

    "well since we're here we should visit your hometown, you can show me around" she smiles 

    "no"

    "oh come on it would be fun!"

    "no I'm not going there"

    "I've never been to Oregon, from what I know about it there are hundreds of trees, unlike anything. I hear it's very beautiful. Honestly, I've always wanted to got just to visit-"

    "goddammit, I am not going back there so shut the hell up about it" Kai roars slamming his hand down on the table, she stares at him in shock and gulps as his angry stare remains on her. 

    "I'm sorry" 

    "I need some air" 

"Kai wait" she begs, he ignores her and stands from the table leaving her alone as he walks down the dark rainy streets. She felt terrible for pushing him when he clearly didn't want to go back, she should have just accepted it the first time he said no. The girl sighs and stands up walking out the door she follows his scent and spots him entering the space needle, she rushes over to him and walks in before the doors could close. She stands on the opposite side of the elevator and stares and him sadly unsure of what to say.

    "Maddie I-"

    "I shouldn't have pushed you" she interrupts 

    "I overreacted, I lose my temper sometimes it's not your fault"

    "If I had just-"

    "no stop it's not you, it's just that I have bad memories there and I don't want to go back" 

    "I understand"

    "sorry for ruining the night" 

    "you didn't, I've had an amazing time" she responds walking over to him and placing her hand on his arm, he looks down at her at she smiles 

    "well I have something that might make it even better"

    "what?"

    "we're gonna stay at the four seasons"

    "oh my god, my friend Caroline always used to talk about that place! I'm so excited"

    "I thought it seemed fitting, mine as well stay in the best place in in the state"