Chapter Forty Three

After she had hung up with Stefan they had pulled over to get some gas and the girl had an idea pop into her head, within the hour the couple had decided to get married and solidify their relationship. Maddie and Kai's wedding ceremony was nothing extravagant, the two found the nearest local shops and they each picked out their own outfits before meeting at the courthouse. Kai had never been happier in his entire life as he saw her standing in the waiting room wearing a white dress with her hair flowing down her back in its natural wavy form just how he loved it. The sight of her was enough to bring tears to his eyes as she smiled at him brightly and made her way across the hall to where he stood in awe. She took his hands and swung them back and forth as she kept her gaze towards the door waiting for the older man to call them into his office. After a few minutes, Kai was growing restless and his heart was pounding at the thought of being able to call her his wife, he didn't want to mess it up. Marriage is a huge commitment, one he was more than ready to make especially since they had no idea how long he'd be with her. He worried about leaving her alone again, on their road trip she had informed him of her grieving process and it made him feel like shit, he wished he could go back in time and find the truth about her before turning off his switch and destroying everything. However she didn't care about the past, all she wanted was to be with him for as long as she could before her happiness was taken away once again. Suddenly the officiant opens his door and invites them inside of his office as he performs the short ceremony, Kai Parker and Maddie Salvatore were officially married.

Once the couple arrived in the small beach town they stayed in a hotel for the night, the next day they were up early researching real estate places. By noon they had signed a lease, thanks to Kai's compulsion they would be staying for free. It was a beautiful one-story cabin with a wrap-around porch and plenty of room for the garden Maddie had planned on creating. The house was secluded nearly ten miles out of town, they were surrounded by trees and a lake which they shared with their neighbors who were spread for miles. It was perfect for the two of them, the property was gorgeous but the house would need some renovating, the appliances were new as well as the countertops and the house came with the nice furniture, however the walls were painted a horrendous green that Maddie would not put up with. The couple teamed up and with the help of Kai's speed they were able to unpack within a day, the only things they needed were outdoor furniture and new paint color for the walls. She also wanted to make the house homier with a few personal touches, like pictures and her book collection. They had already made a trip to the store late the night before and got everything they could possibly need like sheets, towels, Lysol wipes, and dishes. They left the store with two full carts of things to stock their home up with and a very large recite. Maddie had convinced Kai not to use his compulsion unless absolutely necessary, the would pay for things like normal people. Both had large amounts of money in their accounts due to their families so money was no issue. All they had to do was figure out how to live a normal life without supernatural beings attempting to kill them. 

The next morning Maddie opens her eyes and rolls over reaching out to her husband only to find the bed empty, she frowns and gets up from the freshly cleaned sheets and throws one of Kai's zip up's over her before making her way into the kitchen. She smiles at the sight of him flipping pancakes without a care in the world as he mumbled the tune of a song, she walks over to him and gently wraps her arms around his waist leaning her head against his toned muscular back. He places the final pancake on the plate and sets down his spatula turning off the burner, he turns around and stares down at her lovingly, and pulls her into his arms holding her close. After a few moments, she pulls away placing a kiss on his shoulder and grabs a plate taking one of the perfectly made pancakes on it and walks over to the barstool. She attempts to ignore Kai's stares as she drizzles syrup over the crispy brown food and cuts a piece taking a bite before finally meeting his gaze.