Chapter Twenty Three

Hours later she stands with Damon and Alaric side by side as they all try to come up with a plan on how they could protect the city and the twins without being able to step foot into it. She knew they wanted to kill him but there was no way she would ever let that happen regardless of what he's done or plans to do. Damon whistles to get his attention and Kai pops his head out and then walks out of the cript. She rushes at him and holds him by his shoulders.

"cemetery really?" she says trying to bring the old him out, if begging wouldn't help then maybe humor would? Damon rushes over and throws him to the ground, but Kai pushes him over to the border, Damon burns and quickly steps back over.

"oh looks like you found the border" Kai says while crossing over into it

"I drew a line in the dirt for everyone's convenience you're welcome" he says smiling at her, Alaric comes behind him with a gun to his head, they had promised her they wouldn't hurt him but they clearly lied. Without thinking, she vamp speeds to the other side and throws Alaric away from Kai screaming in due to the traveler spell taking away all of her healing, she was feeling the pain of her brain injury all over again as blood pours out of her mouth and her head, she falls to the ground unable to move as she hears Damon scream for her. This seems to snap Kai out of whatever took over him and he instantly bends down and helps her back across the border where she was safe. He watches as her burned skin heals and she stands back on her feet, her eyes instantly find him and he avoids them not wanting to see what he had done. Suddenly Rick pops back up behind Kai once again holding his gun up to his head, she then puts her foot on the line causing Ric to look at her.

"Ric please let him go, you promised you wouldn't kill him" she begs, after several moments of contemplating he finally does

"I'll do the merge, I can beat him" Jo says running out to join the rest of them, Ric stares at the boy before knocking him out with the butt of his gun watching as he falls to the ground. She drops with him and stares at his unconscious body in shock.

"I thought I could stop him" she mumbles

"this is why you don't trust the bad guys" Damon says before walking away leaving her with Jo, the woman walks across the border and over to the girl who loved her brother bending down beside her.

"I'm so sorry Jo"

"don't, you have nothing to be sorry for"

-

Damon was currently throwing rocks at the gravestone Kai is chained to and Maddie was sitting on the borderline growing extremely annoyed with her brother as he continued to throw rocks even though she asked him twice already to stop, this was all too much for her. She thought that Kai would listen to her after everything, but she was beginning to think that he never really cared and it was all an act "Damon knock it off please!"

"yeah Damon" Kai says from behind this gravestone

"So this whole anti-magic line is that like a bad thing? say your in a 747 flying over mystic falls and you die, that could be dangerous like if you headed to New York and the pilot routs the flight", Kai rambles Damon throws another rock.

"how about this I'll kill you and when you're in hell you can ask a bar full of dead travelers if they passed the damn spell" Damon sasses

"thats a lot of travelers might be a pretty big spell like a really big spell, so big it covers every inch of an entire town" Kai says. Damon stops paying attention to Kai as Ric shows up in the truck and they start talking. But she thinks about what Kai said and her eyes go wide.

"Kai?" she asks, he doesn't respond and she knows it's too late Kai lifts his hand and the wind starts picking up before turning into an all-out storm. Damon and Maddie share a look, and she knew that he is sucking out all of the power of the spell used to protect the town. She stands and walks closer to the border, Kai starts chanting a spell and she knows it's gonna be bad, they thought he was strong before but now he had magic, a hell of a lot of magic.

"you little magic sucker, you sucked up all that magic from the travelers spell" Damon says, Kai lifts Damon into the air and throws him against a tree, Maddie takes a deep breath and rushes towards him to make sure he's ok, Damon pushes her back and rushes at kai once again and shoves him against a tree, Kai gets out of the hold easily and throws Damon back, before lifting his hand and pulls her over to him using magic.

He quickly cloaks both of them before Damon could catch him. Kai drags her by the arm out of the forest and to the main road, she rips herself away from him flinching as he walks closer, he looks down at her with hurt in his eyes and she steps back holding her arm against her chest clearly still angry with all of the events. She could barely stand to look at his face at the moment, whenever they talked about being in the real world again Kai made it seem like it would be just the two of them forever, he never mentioned ruining her friend's lives.

"what the hell Kai?"

"look I'm sorry but you need to stay by my side, because they will use you against me. You're the one thing I care about and I'm not having you get hurt" he says grabbing her hand

"what do you think you're doing to me right now?" she growls ripping her hand from his, trying to ignore his gaze

"please don't push me away you're all I have" he pleads staring at her with a heartbroken expression, she'd never pushed him away before. As much as it hurt her she remains strong and doesn't allow herself to break down in front of him.

"see you keep saying these things but I don't think you mean them" she says crossing her arms and walking ahead of him