Preface

For as long as Maddie Salvatore could remember her brothers had always been by her side, helping her whenever she needed them and running when she called. They always knew how to help her no matter what was wrong, whether it be a broken doll when they were kids or their father getting upset with her, the boys always helped. She never had a reason not to trust them with every bone in her body, they had never steered her wrong before. She was used to Stefan and Damon making the decisions because they had lived much longer than she had, while she was stuck in the tomb they were out living their lives and growing into the men they were meant to be. However, everything changed on a cold Saturday night as she was driving back from her new part-time job at the grill.

The dark road was slightly brightened by the lights on her car but remained slick, just before she was about to turn onto her road a figure popped out in front of her and she immediately reacted by swerving the wheel as to not hit them, the last thing she saw before closing her eyes was Silas looking down at her smirking before strutting away. She was found by a woman driving home and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. The injuries she had suffered were too great, she knew she was going to die. And weirdly it was ok, she had gone through so much and was unbelievably tired. Her brothers, on the other hand, would do anything not to lose their darling sister again, as she had fallen into a deep sleep Damon slipped some of his blood into her IV, and minutes later she died. A couple of hours later she awoke with the worst burning pain in her throat she'd ever felt and a massive headache. Her brothers explained what they had done and she was horrified. After having seen first hand what price one had to pay for vampirism was. There was no part of her that wanted to be like them, yet they forced upon the girl for their own selfish reasons. They forced Maddie to drink from a random man walking down the street and she had never felt so dirty, however the gooey red substance that once disgusted her was now all she wanted.

She was now a new vampire and had a lot of control she needed to learn before she could go back to her life. Stefan got her started on his animal blood diet and she was able to sustain the cravings for a couple of months. As she began to accept her status as the one thing she vowed to never become Maddie couldn't help but resent her brothers. They knew she had never wanted to be like them, yet here they are drinking blood bags as a family for dinner. Though the resentment was evident she couldn't distance herself too far from them as they kept her on a tight leash, afraid she would snap and kill everyone in the whole town and become a ripper like her lovely twin brother. After telling them numerous times that she would never do something like that they still held out, they informed her blood makes one do unthinkable things. She understood their words, but knew it wasn't who she was, the blood while it was delicious didn't control her life, she wasn't always thinking about killing anyone, the thought of hurting another person scared her to death. Maddie knew she would never be able to live with herself if she had even dared to hurt someone, just thinking about the man she had to drink from in order to transition gave her nightmares though he was scum and probably deserved what he got.

With her new heightened senses, she was very aware of her feelings, to be more specific about what was missing in her life. She knew that she was lonely, ever since William, who was never truly her's. After everything they went through Maddie knew he wasn't ever meant to be her's, he was never the perfect man she wanted. The man she'd dreamt of ever since she was little, the connection they will have has kept her going, she'd always known he was out there waiting,  however, she wasn't aware that he wasn't the perfect Prince Charming she was expecting but in fact the exact opposite. He was called an abomination, monster, sociopath, a murderer. That wasn't him however, with all of those names placed on his back nobody ever took the time to realize that he was in fact misunderstood.