Chapter Fifty Five

While they walked there were no words conversed between them, both were stuck in their own train of thoughts. Stefan was thinking about Caroline and how much he loved her whilst Maddie's thoughts were consumed by her love as well. She wondered what he was doing, was he on his way, or did he stay back and go on a rampage? She had no idea if his time in hell had changed his fury nor did she want to know. Considering how he reacted the first time he thought she'd passed she knew this wouldn't be pretty. However despite his deep rage, she loved him, everything not just the side of him that acted like a cute lovestruck puppy. She equally adored the darkest parts of his soul, though she would never accept the horrible things he'd done she couldn't help but like his evil reputation. It somehow gave her comfort in their time knowing that if someone were to hurt her that he would take down the entire world just to save her life. Their love was intense and passionate, and above all, she felt safe. Maddie had always been on the side of the good guys, never had she expected to fall for someone like him. Despite knowing about his past she still chose to look past it and love him for who he truly is, if her father could see her now. But the girl didn't care, she absolutely loved Kai Parker and she was happy to have spent her years with him. Suddenly a hand on her shoulder causes her to snap out of her thoughts and she stares up at her brother in realization, they had made it to the school. The two walks through the hallways, just as they turn the corner a body bumps directly into them and they're all shocked to see Elena standing alive and well. Maddie gasps and instantly pulls her friend into a hug smiling as Elena holds her close.

"Lena" she says pulling away after a few moments 

"what happened, why am I here right now?" she asks 

"I don't know about Bonnie but Damon wanted to sacrifice everything to save you to save this town he was ready. We're human now we were linked a while back, he compelled us to leave but he should have known better that we would never walk a day on this earth without taking vervain"

"I don't understand" Elena replies 

"Damon thought that he compelled us to leave but we wanted him to believe that so we could extract the cure from our blood and give it to him just before the hellfire reached Katherine, giving him no time to stop us from saving his sorry ass" Maddie explains watching as Elena's face falls as she realizes what they'd done.

"you what?"

"without the cure we'd start to age we'd be dead soon enough" she adds 

"so Damon's ok?" Elena asks 

"he's ok"

"but you guys you're-"

"we did what we had to do" he responds 

"no you guys can't"

"tonight I saw a side of Damon that I hadn't seen since I was a child, the older brother I looked up to. The son who enlisted in the civil war to please his father and we wanted that Damon to live" Stefan says as tears fill his eyes.

"we wanted you to have an opportunity to get to know him" Maddie finishes as a stray tear falls, Elena holds her hand tightly 

"he's the better man, he's the right man" Stefan says wiping the tears which had fallen down her cheeks

"Its good to see you Lena, one last time" Maddie states, with that the Gilbert girl wraps her arms around the Salvatore twins holding onto them both for dear life. One who had been her first love, the man who'd shown her life and how amazing it could truly be. The other one of her best friends in the entire world, who had shown her strength throughout her incredibly hard life and loyalty as well as a true friendship which she would cherish forever. As the three pull apart she smiles at the twins with a mixture of pain and happiness. 

"don't be sad we've had our time, thank you for making it epic" Maddie smiles before waving to her friend and turning and walking out of the door, she wasn't sure how much time she had left but she knew she needed to get back to the boarding house just in case she happened to see Kai one last time. Pain shoots through her body with each step but she carries on and eventually makes It to the property, collapsing at the door as darkness overcomes her vision. Damon who had been just inside hearing the sound and runs to the door and swings it open finding his little sister unmoving on the ground. He bends down to her level and checks for her pulse sighing in relief as she was still alive, but it was weak. She clearly didn't have much time. He picks her up bridal style and walks her up to her old bedroom which hadn't changed a bit since she moved out. He places her on the bed and grabs a blanket putting it over her so that she could be more comfortable. He takes in her face and notices how rapidly she'd aged, her orange hair had many grey streaks and her skin no longer held the radiance of youth. However he paid no mind and only holds her hand hoping that she would wake up so he could say goodbye to the sister who had sacrificed everything to save him.