Chapter Eleven

After a few weeks Kai and Maddie were inseparable, basically conjoined at the hip, neither really wanted to do anything without the other. It honestly scared Kai how attached he was to her, she had come in and shaken up his whole world making him care without even batting an eye. Maddie was currently walking back from the grocery store alone, this was her only time when she didn't have the cute black-haired witch by her side and it was the only time she didn't mind. But today something is just different, she hadn't been able to stop thinking about her old life and how she'll never get out of this place. Kai left to wherever he goes hours ago and she'd been feeling like the world was closing in. She figured he could use some groceries. But unlike she thought, the walk does not help and with each step, she feels her heart beat faster and faster. Sweat begins dripping down her back and she knows exactly what is going on, she's having a panic attack, this is something that hadn't happened since she was still human. Back then she had Stef or Damon to calm her down but now she was alone. She starts to breathe quicker and leans over holding onto a tree for support as she tries to catch her breath. As If on cue, she hears footsteps running toward her and then feels Kai's arm go around her tightly.

"what's wrong? are you ok?" he asks, panicking, she doesn't answer and continues crying unable to answer him. He pulls her into his chest and wraps his arms around her even tighter, after a few minutes she feels herself calm down a bit.

"hey it's gonna be ok, I promise. Whatever's upsetting you right now just don't even think about it, concentrate on... the eclipse" he says looking down at her in concern. She does as told and looks up to the sky taking in the beautiful sight she was used to, continuing to struggle to breathe.

"look at how beautiful it is, think about it, where else would you get to see something like this every day? It's amazing" he says calmly. She nods and starts to find herself calming down at his soft voice. He continues to talk about anything, and she listens closely, taking her mind off of breathing, her crying slowly comes to a stop and soon she is able to breathe normally again. He notices and helps her stand up off of the ground and then pulls the girl into another hug.

    "are you feeling better now?" he asks

    "yeah I am, how did you do that? calm me down so easily?"

    "well I read that people having a panic attack need to be distracted from what's happening so I just talked" 

    "thank you kai" 

    "of course I'm with you forever"

-

"So I have a question for you but I don't want you to think why is this guy asking me that, it's really weird! I'm worried about it but I'm so curious and after being here for so long I've lost all sense of what social cues even are so I'm just gonna ask" Kai says as they find themselves at the same spot Maddie had found him when he was upset with her weeks ago.

"You can ask me anything"

"Ok here it goes, have you ever been in love before? Sorry I just feel like you have so much backstory and I wanna hear it, I wanna know everything" he asks, her eyes move from the calm lake to the boy sitting next to her with a curious look on his face.

    "Yes I have"

    "Wow ok I was not expecting that answer, can you tell me about it?"