Chapter Fifty Four

Stefan, Caroline, and Maddie rush into the house looking for their witchy friend everywhere after she'd disappeared from their sights after the accident. Nobody had seen where she had gone nor had any idea what had happened. When they finally found her collapsed on the charred living room floor Maddie's heart drops. She instantly drops to her knees and checks her friend's pulse only to feel that there was nothing, she looks up at her brother in shock as tears begin to fill her eyes. Suddenly Bonnie shoots up gasping for air and the girl pulls the witch into her arms happily. Stefan watches and sighs in relief seeing his friend alive once more and Caroline joins her friends in the hug. Bonnie grips her shoulder holding on for dear life as she tries to find the words for what she had just experienced. 

"I saw her, I saw Elena" Bonnie gasps 

After Bonnie had given them the shocking information the twins head back to the boarding house and meet Damon who was clearly on edge. Matt Donavon had called for an evacuation of the city because of a gas leak and their evil ex-girlfriend back in town but now Bonnie was speaking about Elena possibly being awake once more. Maddie was unsure of what to do nor say to make the situation better for her brothers because, in reality, she was of no use. Since Katherine was back she could not fight her nor could Stefan. The only power she had was the friendship she and the doppelgänger once had, however Maddie suspected that after everything that bond was long gone. Katherine was now the queen of hell, the girl was almost certain their former relationship meant nothing any longer. All that woman ever wanted was power and revenge, now she had more power than any one of them and a burning rage for revenge which she was ruthlessly trying to see through. 

"theres gotta be something we're missing" Stefan states as the two follow closely behind their brother 

"nope Katherine did it, she played the long game and finally beat us" Damon responds walking into the living room where Elena's coffin had been stored previously. However the siblings stop in their tracks as they realize that it was now sitting wide open and Elena was no longer laying inside of it. The black-haired man turns to his sibling in confusion when a familiar voice calls out causing them all to turn in shock.

"Damon?" Elena asks 

"Elena" 

"whats going on? Is Bonnie-" she asks holding her hand up, stopping him from approaching her 

"Bonnie's ok, you're both ok"

"I'm awake?" she asks smiling widely, Damon approaches her in shock 

"you're awake" he confirms pulling her into his arms and holding her tightly. However his happiness fades and the realization comes over all of them as Damon drops her and she stumbles back.

"no no no"

"rude" she responds 

"you gotta be kidding me" Stefan murmurs

"Katherine" Maddie states staring at her friend with nothing but pure hatred

"hello Salvatore's" she smirks before walking over to their alcohol and helping herself to glass, she turns back around with a pout 

"am I drinking alone?"

"were is Elena?" Damon asks

"dead, a spiritual coma if we're getting technical" she responds 

"her physical body"

"thats for me to know and for you to dot dot dot" she smirks, Maddie rolls her eyes and crosses her arms 

"can you get to the point Katherine" 

"aw ouch sis, I thought we were friends well anyway I hope you all enjoyed the little show I put on for you. Its been a blast watching you take on the devil, especially considering I've had him wrapped around my finger since the minute I stepped into hell. Why did you think he wanted you? Because I wanted you" She responds, Damon vamp speeds at the woman and throws her glass against the ground, pinning her to the table.