Chapter Forty

4 years later

Maddie Salvatore sits on the couch in Kai's apartment reading a book. The man himself walks into the room groaning as he had just finished that day's torture routine. His eyes find the love of his life instantly and soften at the sight of her, though he was well aware that this was just another one of Cade's famous hallucinations. The only thing that kept him going was the few moments of bliss he would have with her before she would say the most horrific things to get him to break. However, he continued to stay strong hoping that maybe one day he could see her in real life.

    "Kai" she says happily

    "Yes demon who pretends to be the love of my life every day to torture me how can I help you?"

    "Do you really think that you'll be able to escape this place?" She mocks placing the book down and staring at him innocently. He walks over to her and places his hand on her knee gently

    "I know I'll be able to escape this place and when I do I'm gonna live the rest of my life happily with my girl"

    "Wait another few years and she'll be joining you here then it'll really be a party" the girl says before standing up and walking over to the curtains pulling them open, she looks down at her hand and turns to him before fiddling with her daylight ring.

    "I don't know how she kept this on everyday is tacky"

    "Well you're a literal demon I wouldn't expect you to understand current fashion trends"

"Aww Kai that hurt my feelings, now look what you've made me do" she says staring up at him grabbing her daylight ring and throwing it on the ground. He instantly stands to his feet and reaches out to her but it was too late her body engulfs in flames and she screams bloody murder.

"No!" He screams falling to the ground along with her burning body. This had gone on every day for nearly four years and he could still never get used to the sight of her dying. He sighs waiting for his apartment to fade into the dark flames that were hell but he is greeted with a bright light and hops to his feet walking towards it, he reaches his hand through and nods before hopping through altogether. He looks around and realizes that he was in the Mystic Falls Grill, he could always tell what was off about the hallucinations whether it be the color of Maddie's hair being slightly off or a piece of the decor in the wrong spot. But this was real, he was finally back.

-

The years seemed to fly by in the blink of an eye once she found peace with the love of her life being gone forever. The first year was the hardest, every day at noon she would go sit by Kai's grave she dug for him and talk about her day and anything she had on her mind. She had no idea if he could hear but she went anyway, as time went on they got busy and she went to school, gradually she went from going every day to once a week, then once a month, and then every few months. As of now, it'd been about a year since she'd visited his grave, though she still thought about him every day the pain had lessened, she now appreciated the memories they had, and the love he showed her in the year they spent together. Time stopped moving as quickly when they ran into the cure for vampirism, in an effort to save her from a werewolf bite Stefan had Bonnie link his life to hers so as long as he was alive she would be too. This was amazing until he took the cure, they both became human, it was an adjustment but not too hard for her as she was a human not too long ago, however for Stefan it was like starting over. With this new blessing Maddie had decided to take this opportunity to start over and make a new life for herself, she no longer wanted to be a part of the supernatural world after everything it had costed her. She moved a few towns away and distanced herself, trying to figure out how to live without another by her side.