𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

"Vanessa Vaughen are you listening to me?" A tired-looking mother stood at the kitchenette waiting on her daughter's reply.

But in fact, Vanessa was not listening. She was too busy watching the news. 
Channel 51 on cable, it seemed to be on all of the time, they just announced that over a hundred people in a small village in the middle-east were killed due to an attack from an opposing army. The ten-year-old girl couldn't take her eyes off of it. They showed pictures of little kids crying and people who survived trying to clean up all of the ripped apart shacks they used for houses.

One question kept repeating in the little girl's mind.

She watched as they talked about multiple attacks happening everywhere else in the Middle East. They reported the number of total deaths and how towns and cities were being bombed and destroyed. People were starving, a country was dying. Yet they kept attacking.

"Vanessa." A stern voice came from the mother as she stood in front of the television and grabbed the remote.

"Why does God allow innocent people go through all of that?" The girl asked, her eyes still on the screen.

The mother paused, then turned to the T.V. The photos the news anchor displayed looked terrifying. She looked back at her daughter, her hazel eyes full of questions and concern.

"Well... it's complicated."

"What do you mean? Why can't God just save those people?" She prodded, her mother could see the wheels starting to spin.

One part of the mother was shocked at the questions her curious ten-year-old was asking, the other part knew that her daughter would always ask the hardest questions and was always determined to get answers.

But she couldn't give the right answer. Right then and there she just left it as "it's complicated" and tried changing the topic. That's what she did whenever Vanessa would question what was going on in the world.

But she knows that someday Vanessa would figure it out. That someday, she might not get all of her answers, but she would never stop asking all of the hard questions.

The someday she might just be so determined to try to stop these terrible events from happening.

~~~

Vanessa Vaughen grew up in a small apartment with her mother all of her life.
She knew that certain people would never try to stick around for her life and she knew that you can't count on certain people no matter how much they promised.
She knew school was a place of temptatious sharks, yet Sunday School was a place of Jesus loves me, this I know.

She knew of all the evil that was going on in the world. She knew that people were flawed in many ways and that the devil would never sleep.

But she also knew that He first loved us and He never fails to show His love.
And if she could just get out there and try her best, she could try to spread what she had been shown all of her life.