𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖: 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐞

Giselle Daniels

"What are we supposed to do without a tech van?"

Charlie sighed, avoiding her eyes. He started slowly pacing across the floors of the quiet lobby of their hotel.

"I don't know... I don't know."

Giselle looked at Vanessa, who was on the phone with Bourne across the room. Matthew was sitting on the couch across from her, she could tell his mind was drifting off to sleep.

An older gentleman in a uniform came over holding out cards in his hands.

"So sorry for the delay, we didn't think you would get here this early. Here are your cards for your hotel rooms. The numbers for each room are on the cards. Have a great evening."

Giselle thanked the man and received her keycard. She watched as the man went around and gave Charlie and Matthew their cards.

Vanessa seemed to be making her way back to the rest of the group with an undecided look on her face.

"So? What did he say?" Giselle asked when Vanessa reached them.

She sighed before saying anything. 

"Not much, I can tell you that. He sounded so stressed out, I'm not sure what's going on up there."

Giselle kept watching her best friend as she grabbed the luggage and hauled it towards her side.

"So nothing about a tech van?"

Vanessa shook her head. "I think it'll be best that we let the inspectors do their job, wait for a call from Bourne and then see what we can do to continue."

Charlie made his slow paces back towards their group. "Today's already Friday, Sunday is just a day away and we don't even know where this group is."

Giselle looked down at her feet. Charlie was right. They were all so clueless, with no sense of direction. She felt like they were in this circle that kept repeating and this mission was getting nowhere.

Matthew suddenly got up and grabbed his suitcase and backpack. "Well, we have tomorrow to work on it, but for now we need to grab something to eat and get some rest."

"The buffet is closed and all of the restaurants are about to close at this hour."

"Room service?"

Giselle grabbed her backpack. "You guys go ahead, I'm not that hungry. I think I'm just going to call it a night."

"Are you sure?" Vanessa asked, looking intently into her eyes.

"Yeah, goodnight."

"Okay... goodnight."

She took ahold of the handle to her suitcase and dragged it across the floor to the elevators.

There was a ding! from the elevator and the doors opened. 

"Giselle, waiiit," Charlie came flying in before the doors shut closed.

"Sorry, I didn't see you."

"I called your name like three times."

"Oh... did you? Sorry."

Charlie stepped closer to her and leaned in. Giselle observed his arm as it reached across from her. Suddenly, it got warm in the elevator. He pressed a button with a five on it on the board.

Giselle cleared her throat, looking straight to avoid his eyes. "You could have told me to press that."

"Not sure if you would have heard me," he leaned away as the elevator started to go up.